Trying to count calories for a bulking diet

Obsidian

Reaction score
I need to be getting somewhere around 2800-2900 calories to bulk up properly and I will be honest I am probably not getting enough. Here is a sample of my diet. I only weigh 141lbs and I hit 5'8 even.

Breakfast:
One of these three: two whole eggs with toast (whole wheat), bowl of fiber cereal (Nature's path heritage) with skim milk and a banana, or oatmeal with skim milk and raisins

Mid-morning: Banana or apple

Lunch: canned salmon, Turkey, tuna, or chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, yogurt, or an apple

mid-afternoon: plain unsalted almonds, apple

Dinner: Tuna sandwich with cottage cheese small thing of block cheese, chicken caesar salad

Snack before bed: peanut butter sandwich

Anyone think I should add on more?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Add a protein shake, something like muscle milk that has a good ratio of carbs and protein. Makes hitting a higher number of calories easier.

Jm0311

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Add a protein shake, something like muscle milk that has a good ratio of carbs and protein. Makes hitting a higher number of calories easier.

muscle milk is too fatty

-Skim Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Peanut Butter
-Tuna
-Chicken Breast
-Oats
-Bread

Obsidian

Reaction score
Re: Trying to count calories for a bulking diet, supplements

Anyone have experience with any type of whey protein drink. It is kind of tough being a hard gainer.

Ash

Reaction score
Breakfast:
One of these three: two whole eggs with toast (whole wheat), bowl of fiber cereal (Nature's path heritage) with skim milk and a banana, or oatmeal with skim milk and raisins
I'd add a couple of egg whites to the whole eggs and just eat oatmeal and a piece of fruit for carbs, but otherwise good

Mid-morning: Banana or apple Add some protein here, shake, jerky, tuna etc.

Lunch: canned salmon, Turkey, tuna, or chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, yogurt, or an apple
Good

mid-afternoon: plain unsalted almonds, apple Again add some protein

Dinner: Tuna sandwich with cottage cheese small thing of block cheese, chicken caesar salad Good

Snack before bed: peanut butter sandwich
Add some cottage cheese

Just added some suggestions. It's a pretty good diet overall but if you have fast metabolism and you go more than about 3-4 hours without protein your body will start to catabolize your muscles. Right before bed is one of the most important times to eat slow digesting protein like cottage cheese so you don't go into catabolism at night.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:

Yup. :agree:

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
Petchsky said:

muscle milk is too fatty

-Skim Milk
-Cottage Cheese
-Peanut Butter
-Tuna
-Chicken Breast
-Oats
-Bread

Muscle Milk Light:

160 calories
5 grams of fat
9 grams of carbs
20 grams of protein

That's a fantastic ratio! Definitely not too fatty. Additionally at your weight, fat is not the issue. You need "good" fats in your diet. Simple carbs are the enemy.

CCS

Reaction score
If you want to bulk, build up to it gradually. Don't try to jump into a 4000 calorie bulking diet if most of your life you have been eating 2500. Or you will get fat. You should be gradually upping your calorie intake as you gradually increase your workouts. If you jump into an expert workout program, you will just hurt yourself.

Reaction score
It is kind of tough being a hard gainer.

Er...Does 5'8" and 141lbs qualify you as a hard gainer? Isn't that pretty much the ideal weight for a guy your height? I'm 5'10" and struggle to get over 126lbs...That's more like it. I'd bloody love to weigh 141lbs!

zaljeera

Reaction score
What is the other fat that is not listed on nutrition labels? for example a label will say; total fat 10g, then under it, sat. fat 1g, what is the other 9g? is it the healthy fat and it's just not listed? I have noticed this on many things, including a bottle of extra virgin olive oil I have, which only breaks down the sat. fat, and olive oil is supposed to be loaded with the healthy fat, but is not listed on my bottle.