Treatments for 30yo PCOS F frontal/hairline thinning & loss

FriarTed

Reaction score
My friend is 30, has PCOS & is experiencing a receding hairline & frontal thinning. Nioxin used to help her but it doesn't seem to now. She recently got & then returned a bunch of minoxidil-based products as they are to help with topical male-pattern-baldness in the back, but not frontal/hairline loss. I'm thinking finasterine (sp?) might be what she needs but I see that is not recommended for women. Now, she's planning on never having kids so that may make it less risky but I don't know if I should guide her to that. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

TMP

Reaction score
My friend is 30, has PCOS & is experiencing a receding hairline & frontal thinning. Nioxin used to help her but it doesn't seem to now. She recently got & then returned a bunch of minoxidil-based products as they are to help with topical male-pattern-baldness in the back, but not frontal/hairline loss. I'm thinking finasterine (sp?) might be what she needs but I see that is not recommended for women. Now, she's planning on never having kids so that may make it less risky but I don't know if I should guide her to that. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
I don't know what PCOS is but womens rogaine will help with a receding hairline and frontal thinning. It take a while for it to grow in, for some reason the front takes the longest to fill in.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
------------------------------------
nioxin is good at thicking up the hair thus it DISGUISES the hairloss, despite their claim there is little clinical evidence that the product makes hair grow back but it's still a good shampoo for thinning hair
it says in the manual that minoxidil doesn't work on the frontal hairline but it's found to have a small effect on the frontal hairline
finesteride also has a minimal effect on the frontal hairline (i think it's actually less than minoxidil)
i don't really recommend finesteride in women without at least seeing a tricoligist to see if there are more specific treatments for your friend
the problem is we don't know 100% if DHT plays a role in women's hairloss or not it even says in the manual for propecia that their trials showed it didn't help

Thickster

Reaction score
why in the world would a woman with a hormone imbalance take a product which is for men's hormones, that sounds like a hideous cluster f*uck. but I'm NOT a doctor, just saying.

I came to this post because I was wondering if women can use men's topical treatments?

Do SP berries help women?

Do supplements help?

I can't find any posts about a product I want to try and it seems to only for men.

Thanks,

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why in the world would a woman with a hormone imbalance take a product which is for men's hormones, that sounds like a hideous cluster f*uck. but I'm NOT a doctor, just saying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I came to this post because I was wondering if women can use men's topical treatments?
Ferritin (most doctors see a level 20-300 as normal whereas hairloss experts say you want at least 80 for healthy hair growth)
zinc
vitamin b12
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't find any posts about a product I want to try and it seems to only for men.

i just thought of telling you, most the women have moved to www.heralopecia.com, do feel free to post here i do try to come and answer any questions you have since it's a bit of a ghost town here

Somechick

Reaction score
I am 29, have PCOS, a Thyroid problem and a genetic predisposition to hardly any hair. Obviously there are many factors in my case and Nioxin did nothing for me. However, with PCOS the pill often helps. I was put on Diane- which is a little more expensive than most pills but it is supposed to lessen the testosterone levels which contribute to male pattern baldness in women. It did help a little... You might want to suggest speaking to her GP about a contraceptive pill to balance her hormones. Its worth a shot and also helps to ease the period pain!

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ladies 1 of the quickest things that's helped me was MSM internally. Nothing else helped quicker as for as internal things. I started at 300 to 500 mg daily. Now I've worked up to 2 to 3000 mg daily and instead of losing 180 hairs daily I lose 60 to 80 hairs daily thats 60 percent less. Also I use Nizoral 2% every 3 days which is lessening the loss to about 35 to 50 hairs daily.

I also take 25 mg of spironolactone but it normally takes 2 mos to kick in (ive taken it before) and it's only been 1 mo.

I also take saw palmetto 2 pills a day but I don't think its doing much.

For some garlic pills help 2 to 3 daily. But these ppl usually don't have androgenic alopecia.

JFG_77

Reaction score
Hi,

I've try nioxin and like it's already been write, this product only desguise. I would like to know if anyone have ever heard about claude bell canada ? This institute is selling a product call hair force one for hair loss, i would like to have some comments about this product or if you know any other shampoo to stop hair loss ? I know this is a old post but i would like to have suggestions!

Take care!

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Also try Nioxin vits. They are great for growing hair. Doesn't fill in bald spots but does grow the hair you have in the sockets.

Reindel

Reaction score
If the hairline thinning is inevitable, maybe your friend can opt to use lace wigs for the meantime. She can use such during the period wherein she is still treating herself. Lace wigs do not appear as wigs among those who are using it. Its hair lace fit well to the head that is not obvious that it is a wig.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm trying Curcumin and Resveratrol as a member here said once they tried them together, they stopped his hair loss. And that was 3 years ago. I'd read studies about these 2 helping hair loss I just hadn't tried them.

Plus Curcumin is from Tumeric which is a proven cancer fighter, particularly of the colon.

Anita1978

Reaction score
i'm afraid there is nothing that has complete proof to work with frontal / hairline thinning in women, the best option is the minoxidl regime, with perhaps addition of spironolactone

as Reindel points out lace wigs might be an option. if your friend does not wish to cover all of her scalp (due to possible having good hair on back and sides, you can get lace frontal pieces which can create a new hairline at the front and extend back only by a few inches, leaving her to show her biological hair elsewhere

xx

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^^ Not true.

Every 3 days I've been using 3 topicals, and I see my hair line in the front is filling in, thank GOD!

I

- Wash (keto 2%)
- Condition (add liquid saw palmetto, put on scalp)
- Style (add a crushed up spironolactone pill 1-2 pills in my setting lotion. Apply to scalp with nozzle).

I place all over scalp, im a diffused thinner.

But I concentrate at the hair lines and temples.

Also between washes, i wash every 3 days very very dry hair, i apply saw palmetto or the yeast infecition cream to my hair line. It's filling in. So thank GOD!

Also, I take Spring Valleys Saw Palmetto pills, 2 (it has several anti dht ingredients)
MSM 2000 mg daily
spironolactone 25 mg (less of this, more of the other stuff, this stuff increase tumors)
Nioxin vits (GREAT at growning hiar and helping my temples. Been fighting dht hair loss all my life, father at NW7 and I still have a little fuzz on my temples. Not completely bald)

kimdorothi

Reaction score
I've just had my first steroid injections (of a probable 6 prescribed) and have several bald patches & had approx 10 needle injections. I was pre warned that it may hurt, but it wasn't as bad as expected... Definitely bearable. My injections have been prescribed alongside topical steroid lotion.

side effects of steroids

Capling

Reaction score
My regimen:
* Matt-Gardson's method - everyday
* Positive attitude
I've used it daily for about two months and my hair is thicker and am starting to see sprouts in my bald spot.
Last time around, it took a good 3-4 months to see a significant difference.

Wyatt

Reaction score
I think the main reason of hair fall is the deficiency of certain component of food.
All factors affecting hair fall are internal except few external factors.
So if you are experiencing hair fall you should pay attention to your
diet and consult any nutritionist.