Traxdata's Storty

G

I'm 35, 36 in November and I first started to notice my hair loss in my mid 20's. It's been a very very slow progress of hair loss and I really would have though I'd be bald by now but I really am hanging in there as far as my hair goes. I still have a good head of hair but the temples have receded so I hope to improve the situation in the coming months.

My Father was not completely bald but he did suffer from hair loss, his father had thick grey hair from what I can remember but it was receded at the sides. My mother’s side is trouble. Her dad was slick bald and both her brothers have hair loss. I'm not too sure who I will take after and if the baldness will stop. I wish I had a crystal ball.

The thing is that I don't panic about my hair loss. I am very comfortable with it and I can live with it. It does not rule my life although it is on my mind sometimes. I first started to really tackle my loss last year! March 2003 to be precise. I started using natural products because I was married and did not want to mess around with my hormones. About three weeks ago I decided to go for Proscar. I figured that I might as well give it ago as I am no longer with my wife and I had just finished with a girlfriend so if I had any side affects no one would notice apart from myself.

I don't really know what to expect from Proscar. If I can maintain my hair as it is today then I will be very happy indeed. If I can grow hair then I will be ecstatic. As it stands at the moment I don't worry too much. I just pop the pill and get on with my life.

I have considered surgery but at this point in time I am holding back to see what happens with my hair. Because I have had very slow hair loss I am guessing that most of this loss can be recovered. If that's not the case then I may consider some kind of surgery next year (2005) just to fill in any loss in those areas. That's only if I can maintain for the next 9 months. It will be an interesting journey and I hope to keep you all updated in this log as well as my personnel website that I will start very soon.

Good luck everyone
Trax

G

Just an update.

Been on Proscar for around 7.5 months now and have noticed a shed. The shed has been happening for at least 2 months but have only really started to see the affects in the last three weeks or so.

It's a far cry from my confident approach in the post above but I will pull through. Thanks to all the guys who are supportive. It means a lot.

And or course good luck to everyone else. I am sure we can beat this thing and hopefully have some good progress in the coming months.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi Trax -

Are you splitting the tablets or just popping the pill like you said?

Please make sure you are using Nizoral shampoo as well. This can make or break finasteride's effect on your hair.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Sorry, just "hovered" over your "View my Regimen" button and saw that you're splitting the tabs and using Nizoral.

Sheds can last awhile. You're in a better place than most guys since you have that "take it or leave it" attitude. That will help with the biggest challenge there is - patience. So stick with it.

HairLossTalk.com

G

Well coming into month 9 of using finasteride, after a big shed around months 7-8, could have started earlier though....

I can now see new growth and it does appear that the hair is getting thicker around the two temple hairlines. The mid hairline still seems OK but that also thinned slightly during the shed.

I hope to report back in a couple of months to see how things are going.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral for finasteride

HairLossTalk.com: What makes you say that nizoral can make or break it for finasteride? I use both, but just curious. Always under the impression that using finasteride could do jsut as much for your average guy, using any shampoo.

I use finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral 1%, but just curious..some new info from you, that I have not heard before.

Thanks