Transplant time frame

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a transplant on my hairline, and I would want it fairly soon. Problem is, I'm in several weddings this coming June, and don't want ungrown transplant hair for the world to see. Question is, would it be better to wait until after the summer to get the work done, or does transplanted hair grow back fairly quickly (remember that this is only on the hairline that I would have this done).

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Any decent surgeon has a waiting list. My Dr's is around 3 months. It's February now.
That should pretty much give you your answer.

G

DEFINITELY WAIT!!! until after the wedding. June is only four months away and even if you had your hair transplant tomorrow, you would not see "any" new growth or it would be just starting to come through.

The other reason. What happens if you have a little or alot of shockloss of the surrounding hair at your hairline? :freaked2:

Trust me on this, you want to wait until after the wedding. Maybe use a little Toppik, Nanogen, or something on the wedding day to thicken things up a little?

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
DEFINITELY WAIT!!! until after the wedding. June is only four months away and even if you had your hair transplant tomorrow, you would not see "any" new growth or it would be just starting to come through.

The other reason. What happens if you have a little or alot of shockloss of the surrounding hair at your hairline? :freaked2:

Trust me on this, you want to wait until after the wedding. Maybe use a little Toppik, Nanogen, or something on the wedding day to thicken things up a little?

how long till you have shockloss? im 3 weeks and i dont think i see any yet. Also does it grow back?

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually thats somthing I've always wondered.....does hair lost from shock eventually grow back?

And yes, I will wait now, thx.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Full Head of Hair said:
Actually thats somthing I've always wondered.....does hair lost from shock eventually grow back?

And yes, I will wait now, thx.

From what i understand permament shock loss is rare with a good surgon.

G

jeffsss is correct however please keep in mind that diiffused thinners in advanced levels can still lose that hair to shockloss because it is in an extremely debilitated state. You know, it's that very fine hair that used to have more caliper before DHT started taking its toll.

The less diffused the natural hair is, the more potential for it to grow back. The weaker it is, the less potential. But I find that many diffused patients in those advanced stages begin to start their hair transplants because they are seeing lots more of their scalp and not getting the visual coverage like they used to have. And they recognize that the thin hair they do have left will soon be gone anyways.

But my experience with diffused thinners are those who go to hair transplant surgeons using the latest ultra-refined methods tend to have lower levels of shockloss on average. I attribute that to many of them utilizing custom made blades and lateral slit micro-incisions which can bring the trauma level down. I also notice less post-op swelling and quicker recovery times because the ultra-refined methods are less invasive. IMO it is also the platform of improved yields and can allow dense packing within reason. And many of these talented surgeons can now attain higher density levels in one pass that used to take them two and sometimes three passes. To date, the best yields I continue to see are the patients that have ultra-refined FUHT procedures done by those reputable hair transplant surgeons employing those methods.

G

tpeter,

Shockloss almost always begins in the third and fourth week post-op. So you are right at that threshold now. There are always variances at either end of those time frames. When you shampoo look at your hands after you lather up and see if there seems to be more hairs than normal. It can seem like a shedding period is happening. Shockloss can sort of be illustrated on a bell curve. So the larger percentage of patients generally experience approximately 25% shock out and I am referring to patients that had a competent surgeon. That's been my observation.