Transplant Surgeon's own Experience with a Transplant

hairlimmer

Reaction score
Hello HairlossTalk Users,

I just wanted to share my personal experience with Hair Transplantation.

After 33 years of doing hair transplantation, I finally took the big jump myself. Like most 50, 60, and 70 year old men (I just celebrated my 60th birthday), I have noticed the slowly progressive thinning of my frontal hairline and the gradual upward trend. The old excuses like my brain is just expanding such that my forehead has to grow to compensate for it and other such camouflaging statements never disguised the fact that time, even in those of us who do not have a strong genetic tendency toward male pattern alopecia, still weakens our frontal hairline. So, on April 26, 2002, I filled one of the hair transplant schedules myself. The anesthetic, neutralized with sodium bicarbonate, was totally painless. The only nuisance factor in removing the donor was lying in the prone position for 15 minutes with my brow on the head rest of the Boyd table. My surgical nurses suggested that, since this was my only complaint, we might use a soft gel pad on the head rest to soften the mild pressure on the brow. The slight sensation of tightness during the placement of the initial vertical mattress sutures to orient the skin margins was the only other recognizable step in the procedure. I can honestly say that I felt absolutely no discomfort throughout the donor removal and suture closure. My surgical team let me design my own hairline with their approval, moving my central brow line forward about 1 cm. I got to look at my donor hair under the microscope and confirm what I have always known, and that is that my hair shaft diameter is relatively fine, probably about 60 to 65 microns in diameter. My surgical team of assistants, guided by the planter, who happens to be the sweetest, kindest, and prettiest woman in the world (my wife, Carole) were quite complementary to me on my behavior. What else could they do - I write their paycheck. I got to visit with several patients, my mother, and the concrete slab crew by cell phone during the procedure. The staff kept me busy saying nice things about me and my having to deny all of the them through the day.

The week after the hair transplant went as expected. Carole and I took off five days to visit friends in Virginia where we went Morel mushroom hunting and visited the campus of Washington and Lee and VMI, as well as the museum on campus. The only nuisance encountered was a mild discomfort from the stitches which were removed at seven days. I took one Tylenol the second day post-op at carole's insistence, but I could have done without it.

All went well, and I can now say that I appreciate each and every one of you as patients and the courtesy you all extend to us, as well as the great complement you place to us by putting yourself in our hands to design something that is so important to us. I am now one of you.

B.L. Limmer, M.D.

07-11-2002

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr. Limmer. I went and checked out your site. I'm 24 and am probably a Norwood 3 or so now. I'm currently trying medications but may pay you a visit soon if it doesn't work. I'm in Texas as well.

Andy_G

Reaction score
Hi Dr. Limmer,

Thank you for posting your own experience here.

I also read your interview with Hairlosstalk. I know you're a real expert when it comes to hairtransplants but I got the feeling that you seem to be downplaying the possibilities of the procedures done by Dr. Gho and Dr. Woods.

You said in the interview that the techniques of Dr. Gho and Woods harm the donor area a lot more than with a traditional transplant. If you look at the pictures, shown in the presentation on Dr. Gho's website, you can see a person who has undergone a traditonal transplant and a Gho transplant. It seems to me that Dr. Gho procedure is scarless.
Do you feel these pictures are deceiving and would you really recommend a traditional transplant?
http://www.ghoclinic.com/home.php

The reason I ask you this, is because if I needed a transplant in the future I would go to Dr. Gho. I live in Belgium, you see, not that far away from Maastricht, Holland.

Thank you for taking your time.

Andy

G

Question for Dr. Limmer

Hi Dr. Limmer,

I have also just had a transplant (about 6 days ago).

My question is how soon will you (and I) be adding back your hair retention tools, in other words, any topicals like minoxidil, folligen and the like as well as NANO shampoo.

Thanks

Brucelee

dontwanttoloseit

Reaction score
Hey Bruce,

How much did the transplant cost you? How many hairs did you get transplanted and what is the success rate of this procedure?

Thanks in advance

G

dontwanttoloseit said:
Hey Bruce,

How much did the transplant cost you? How many hairs did you get transplanted and what is the success rate of this procedure?

Thanks in advance

About 800 folllicular units transplanted at about 2.2-5 hairs per unit. So approx. 2000 individual hairs. Cost was $3200.

We will wait on judging success. My first transplant was 6 yrs ago and was more modest. I would judge that one as most successful but I think this Dr.'s artistry is a bit better so I am optimistic.

Brucelee

dontwanttoloseit

Reaction score
wow thats not a bad price to pay for freaking hair.
But hey good luck with retaining all the hair.

Do keep us posted on your progress

G

Went today to have stitches removed. Healed very quickly in both donor and transplant area. I chalk that up to post transplant compliance, hygiene and copious vitamins and other supplements.

Doctor was impressed after only 7 days. I have to agree. The donor area line is really faint and looks like no scar for me!

Transplants look good too. I am using Folligen Shampoo and Conditioner and Dr. wants more conditioner on transplants. Also using Folligen spray dilluted 50%. I can resume minoxidil today also.

All in all, I am very happy with the job. I am shooting to avoid the post transplant shed in three weeks. I say yes, nurse says no.

I think she is wrong and I am going to prove it.

Thanks

Brucelee

G

BTW- my transplant MD is Dr. Jim DeYarmen, who has been practicing here in the San Diego area for many years. I find him to be very professional, skilled, and very forthright and honest about what he thinks he can and can do. Also has a good sense of humor!

Based on my experience to date, I would give him top marks.

Brucelee