transition from hairpiece to transplants

HP

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently wearing a hairpiece and have been for the last six years. I have since gained a great deal of confidence in hair transplants. Enough that I am seriously considering this as an option. I do have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer them.

My hairpiece is attached to my head with special glue. I go to my salon once every 4 - 6 weeks to have this done. After getting the transplant surgery can I have this attached again until my transplanted hair starts growing? If so does it slow down the growth of my transplanted hair? How long after surgery should I wait to have my hairpiece applied? Is it possible to get infected? Has anyone here dealt with similar situations? I appreciate your thoughts greatly.

HP

G

Hi there HP,

Well I must say this topic always brings back memories to me because your situation is exactly what I have been through myself. That is transitioning from a hair system to the real thing through surgical hair restoration. When you state that you have attained a great deal of confidence in hair transplants I presume you have done exhaustive research knowing both the plus' and minus' of surgical hair restoration.

Since my first hair transplant in 1996, I have assisted and coached many guys through this very difficult and challenging transition. It is more complex than one would think. I am going to address some of your questions with my opinions both from the clinical side and also my own personal experience. There are also many others who read these boards that probably have very similiar questions and concerns. I want you to also feel free to call me if you live in the US because I would be willing to answer any questions you have about this rather than continuing writing long posts in replies which takes a considerable amount of time. I can answer more questions that way on a personal basis. Just e-mail or PM me and I'll send it to you.

Let's get on with some answers. First, you must recognize "up front" that the fundamental issue is the "visual transition" of hair system to hair transplants. That's where the real challenge begins. You see most hair systems have an extremely high level of density and in most cases, way too much density. It's the primary dinstinguishing trait that makes a hair system obviously recognized and noticable. I can spot a system from a mile away on just about any guy because in most cases the density and even the color does not match the adjacent hair in areas like the rim.

So the first thing you want to consider is "reducing the density" in your system(s) in stages before you do the first hair transplant. This will reduce the level of density to those who see you day-to-day. Consider doing this gradually with your system(s) on "every other" service appoinment. This can help to avoid that big overnight viisual difference of having high density to low density from your first hair transplant. You also want a new system with the clip method because yes the glue will affect the newly implanted grafts. Most hair system organizations use a product called Polyfuse and possible that's what you have been using. You definitely DON'T want to use gluing post-op. :shock:

Your first procedure will have your hairline situated a little bit higher so the edge of the template of the system will exceed the outer perimeter of where the grafts are going. You DO NOT want any part of the outer edges of the system resting atop of any grafts, anywhere. That's why you have to have a new system made up front before you do your hair transplant procedure. See what I mean? Now this is EXACTLY what I did in mid 1995 and then I did my first hair transplant in Febuary of 1996, six months after I began to reduce the density levels of my hair systems.

Roughly nine months after my first hair transplant, I had to finally part with my systems for good! :roll: I had barely enough new growth around my hairline and in the horseshoe area behind my hairline. Although it was obvious that I was not wearing hair systems anymore, I looked much improved from my procedure. And having a very talented surgeon gave me a very nice feathered natural hairline. :)

But here is what I did. I planned a two week vacation including all of the weekends which gave me additional growth time. My first day off is when I quit wearing the systems. I also went out of town on vacation so I was only seen by people that had never seen me before and never knew the difference. Anyway one of the most fearful times in my life is when I went back to work! I was SCARED TO DEATH that everyone would notice right away and talk behind my back. And do you know whay happened? I was a banker back then and when I walked into my private office that morning, one of my associates walked into my office and the first thing he said to me was "how was vacation?" Before I could even answer he said " I see you finally pitched the rug huh?" I JUST ABOUT DIED!!! :freaked2:

BUT, here's the best part. This associate of mine always knew I wore a hair piece, in fact evryone in the bank knew it as much as I did not want to acknowledge it. But as soon as as he blurted out the words I had feared the most, he ALSO SAID "Steve, your hair really looks nice, what happened?" And he was being genuine. He said "you grew more hair right?" His eyes used to drift at my hair system all of the time but NOW he had this sparkle in his eye! :D

Once I confided in him that I had a hair transplant nearly ten months earlier and I actually took the time off for trying to transition my appearance, he could hardly believe it. He kept saying over and over, "I don't believe it, did you really do that?, it looks so good!"

The fact was that my new look finally had a "natural look" even though anyone could tell that the density of hair on top of my head was not there anymore. They knew something was different about me, but it was FINALLY natural. After a few days no one ever looked at the top of my head anymore. The best "test" was when I met a new client. Before, when I was wearing a system, most folks would have eye drift to my hair. Finally when I met someone new, they started looking me eye-to eye. That was my REAL FREEDOM!!! :D

Since then I had two more procedures for a grand total of 4417 grafts. I have been enjoying my restored look ever since. :D I have never regretted my three hair transplants ever, nor my taking of finasteride which has stabilized my genetic hairloss pretty well.

Oh, I forgot something. If you do have your first hair transplant, do enough of a session to make enough of a visual difference when everything grows out. Make sure your scalp is "completely healed" with no scabs or crusts anywhere. So consider taking ample time off post-op as well and consider using a post-op healing product like Graftcyte to advance the healing period.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I certainly have walked in those shoes! Take care man.