"Transition" from adolescent hairline to mature ha

arjun17

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been reading this forum for a month or so now, and this is my first post. I'm not yet losing hair, so this question isn't related to myself :)
I've often read on several sites that at some time during the twenties, MOST men (they say 96% or something around that) undergo a transition from adolescent hairline (no temple recession) to mature hairline ( slight temple recession on both sides).
My question is, is this transition unrelated to male pattern baldness, or is it just a small degree of male pattern baldness which practically every man gets, regardless of whether he loses any further hair or not? In other words, is there any way to distinguish the "mature hairline" temple recession from male pattern baldness temple recession?
I'm 17, and presently a Norwood I, except for the fact that I have naturally got a high hairline, so some people seem to think that I'm balding when I'm not :( I hope I don't recede much while getting a mature hairline, else I'll start looking quite bald from the front.
Cheers,
arjun17

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
30% of men loss hair in there 20s and 50% in their 30% but 96% of men in there 20% is not true at all. In there 60 that would be true.

Do you have family member with hair loss like dad or older brothers?

arjun17

Reaction score
Not really....

Ok so I have fine black hair like my dad, my paternal grandad, and basically everyone on my dad's side. My dad is 50 and has only slightly thinner hair all over than he used to 30 years ago, and a slight temple recession which happened in his twenties and never progressed after that. ditto for my grandad he passed away at 77 and still had practically all of his hair..... and nobody else is bald either on my dad's side.
On my mom's side, my maternal grandad is bald, but did'nt start losing hair until after 40. Two uncles also started losing hair in their 40s. But considering that everyone on my mom's side had lower hairlines and thicker hair to start with .... unlike me, I take after my dad's side totally.
I have no brothers.
So my chances of going bald, are , while not zero , rather slight. But u never know :)
So far I see no signs of balding. My temples are fine, as thick as the rest of my hair. When wet, my hair looks as thick (if not thicker) at the top than at the sides. My crown is also thick, easily as thick as the back. I hate my high hairline tho... but I better shut up, its better than going bald!
Cheers,
Arjun