Training from home

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: building chest, arms and shoulders

Guys I know there is no substitute for a commercial gym but I have recently started a new job and it is just hassle at the moment to extend my already long commute to go to the gym so I am thinking about buying some free weights and a bench and setting up base at home.

Saw a set of free weights on this site:-

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/sto ... sp?dept=59

for £239.00 from £379.93 (incl. a 2 tier rack): 6 pairs of cast hex dumbbells 5 - 30 kg.

My questions are:-

(1) Will these set of weights be adequate (i.e. heavy enough) for a
"beginner" of average strength (what's average?!) for say 6 months?
(2) Does anyone know of any better deals for a set of free weights other
than the one I have listed above?
(3) Are 6 pairs of dumbbells enough for an upper body workout? Am I
missing out with not having machines etc at my disposal?

The Gardener

Reaction score
I believe that 30 KG is about 65 pounds, which should be sufficient weight for the top end stuff, such as your bench press, etc. This set doesn't include enough weight for you to do a 'max out', but for a 'beginner' who has good inherent strength, for set-based exercises 30KG bells would be sufficient for quite a while. If you build up to it, and stick to your regime, you could always buy a heavier pair later.

As for the cost, I really can't help. Luckily my gym is in a convenient location, and I've never shopped around for bells.

Bells are great. With a set of bells, you can hit most all of your muscle groups above your waist. I actually prefer them for shoulders and chest. For the back exercises I prefer machines, but with some creativity and a flexible workout chair, you can get in back rows and fly from several angles. The lats might be a problem... I can't think of how to do a latissimus pulldown motion using bells? Perhaps you could do back rows at a decline angle to get them?

G

i started my bodybuilding career at home, the first couple of years, with fine results...! I only had a bench, a barbell and two dumbells.. just concentrate on bench press, military press, close grip bench press, french press, bent over rows, barbel curls.... That can definitly give great results.. im just a little worried about your legs...! you could do deadlifts...! a good basic and it will give your legs something thats better than nothing...!

And remember.. the best way to get a big arm, is to do the big basics HEAVY!!!! Squat, deadlifts etc...!!!!

oni

Reaction score
Get a secondhand set and save money and get better weights. I always see them and for really cheap money to !!!! put the money you save towards a nice holiday ! :)

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
You could buy a barbell, two dumbell bars and a stack of weight discs for less from: http://www.worldofhealthandleisure.co.u ... mbells.htm

Can be a hassle to switch the discs round but more scope for fine-tuning the weight for each type of exercise, plus it's cheap to add extra weight as and when you need it. They've got some good benches on the site too, I'd go for one with a squat and leg attachment for maximum flexibility - providing you have the space for it.

Slarti