Topical Urea on Scalp?

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone studied the use of topical urea on the scalp to treat male pattern baldness? One of the popular dermatology treatments now for mild acne is topical urea. While the underlying mechanism of action is not well understood, what is demonstrated is that topical urea seems to increase the turnover of skin cells without causing peeling. It also seems to calm down the dark bruising discoloration associated with maturing acne.

Would there be any sense in trying this on the scalp, on the theory that it might force the skin of the scalp to turnover more rapidly, with less trapped sebum? Since topical urea comes as a foam (e.g., Quinnova Hydro35) it is easy to apply to the scalp.

One thing that concerns me in doing this experiment is the possibility that the urea might damage the hair it comes into contact with. So I would like to know if this has been studied, or if others have tried it. I would probably apply this after first putting down Minoxidil. Not sure if that would interact with the topical urea.