Topical Progesterone / Opinions, Thoughts And Concerns

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am wondering if topical progesterone can provide any benefit for maintenance or regrowth at the hairline. My current regimen is just Finasteride 1mg daily, which I have taken for the past 10 months. I have only gotten maintenance at best (I’m not complaining). I am hoping to get some regrowth or thickening in my hairline, and I haven’t heard much about progesterone. From what I understand it stops the conversion of testosterone to DHT, so I’d imagine it would have a positive effect. What are your thoughts, opinions and concerns with a topical progesterone? Will it have any impact on the hairline?

Also, I do not experience sides from finasteride. First couple of weeks (max) my balls ached, but that went away.

Maxihair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can help you, If your hair loss is related to low levels of progesterone.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesteron is 5alpha reductase inhibitor so it can help and also probably provide some hair benefits in other way(anti inflammatory for example). Most women are speaking about beautiful hairs while they are pregnent and some postpartum hairloss. Im also planning to buy progesteron cream (there are a lot of them for menopausal women) in the coming days :)

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as an update, I have gotten some progesterone cream, and applying it twice daily to one side of my hairline. If anything special happens, I’ll come back and post here. Seems I have a bit over a months worth of cream at the moment, so as of now I’m giving it a month, and we’ll see what happens. As an additional side note, I did read that progesterone is quickly metabolized, and usually doesn’t provide much benefit because of that. So my expectations aren’t high.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesteron is 5alpha reductase inhibitor so it can help and also probably provide some hair benefits in other way(anti inflammatory for example). Most women are speaking about beautiful hairs while they are pregnent and some postpartum hairloss. Im also planning to buy progesteron cream (there are a lot of them for menopausal women) in the coming days :)
I read you shouod purchase "natural" progesterone fyi..keep us updated.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dismiss whatever you read on that forum.

Progesterone works binding to 5-ar to get 5-a reduced to DHP and then to allopregnanolone though 3α-HSD. So, differently from finasteride, it will actually have a calming and cognitive enhancement function.
If it gets too high in the bloodstream though it can create issues, due to its possible anti-androgenic signaling in some tissues like the breast, in which it appears to be an antagonist of androgenic inputs.

I've been using topically at 20 mg dissolved in Trichosol per night and I've monitored blood work twice. My progesterone levels were actually a little lower, but not statistically relevant. I will test again when I'll swap to an alcoholic solution.
Too early to know if it's doing something.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's weird how only a few people talk about it. Some say its to weak to do something relevant, or that it is too dangerous for man since a lot o T people use it during transition.

I'd indeed give it a try.

Last edited:

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dismiss whatever you read on that forum.

Progesterone works binding to 5-ar to get 5-a reduced to DHP and then to allopregnanolone though 3α-HSD. So, differently from finasteride, it will actually have a calming and cognitive enhancement function.
If it gets too high in the bloodstream though it can create issues, due to its possible anti-androgenic signaling in some tissues like the breast, in which it appears to be an antagonist of androgenic inputs.

I've been using topically at 20 mg dissolved in Trichosol per night and I've monitored blood work twice. My progesterone levels were actually a little lower, but not statistically relevant. I will test again when I'll swap to an alcoholic solution.
Too early to know if it's doing something.
Sounds like it should be used alongside finasteride to counteract its reduction of allopregnanolone synthesis.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's weird how only a few people talk about it. Some say its to weak to do something relevant, or that it is too dangerous for man since a lot o T people use it during transition.

I'd indeed give it a try.

Alone won't do much I think, but you know the bro-science on the internet is hard to die. You still have people swallowing oral 5-ar inhibitors to target a single tissue.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like it should be used alongside finasteride to counteract its reduction of allopregnanolone synthesis.

It could work, but if there's no 5-ar (or little left) you're still inhibiting the first pathway, which is progesterone to DHP, so that won't lead to any allopregnanolone synthesis.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It can help you, If your hair loss is related to low levels of progesterone.
This is not how it works, progesterone is a natural aromatase and 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. In fact, it is how the body regulate the estrogens and DHT . When one is going up, progesterone is going up and lower both. That is why propecia cause a big problem in your body , cause there is not DHT, so body decreces drastically Progesterone and then Estrogen goes up, plus progesterone have many good action in the body .

inmyhead

Reaction score
When you are pregnant, all hormones go out of range. So you can't say that the hair is due to progesterone only.

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could work, but if there's no 5-ar (or little left) you're still inhibiting the first pathway, which is progesterone to DHP, so that won't lead to any allopregnanolone synthesis.

@Canuto is right. You need either DHP (precursor of ALLO) or ALLO itself as a supplement to get those benefits. ALLO is a bit hard (and I think expensive) to get, there is a source that sells DHP though. I use it sometimes as I'm on oral dutasteride and can say I definitely felt some positive effects, however you're almost completely in the dark regarding dosage as you take the DHP orally and I could find zero information about the bio-availability of oral DHP in humans... Then it gets converted to ALLO and even information re: ALLO dosages in humans is scarce, there is some information out there about ALLO injections in women with postpartum depression though.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro science YouTuber Leo Rex recommends micronized Progesterone or topical as a path to address libido issues in men.

jazz1

Reaction score