Topical ketoconazole solution - extracting from tablets

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
For the past few years, I've been crushing ketoconazole tablets into powder and adding it to my minoxidil.

It's been pretty successful, which is why I haven't been on the hair loss forum circuit for a few years. However, I've recently discontinued oral anti-androgens and would like to offset that by increasing the amount of ketoconazole (possibly adding finasteride and dutasteride, too) in my topical solution.

The problem is, however, there's a lot of unnecessary insoluble filler in the tablets that just sits at the bottom of the vial, and also gets stirred-up and deposited onto my scalp with every application, which is barely practical as it is. Lots of hair-washing required. (And yeah, I know about the shampoo, and I already use it, but I'd rather leave the ketoconazole on my scalp all day, and you can't do that with shampoo)

I know ketoconazole is insoluble in water, but there's way too much stuff left at the bottom to just be ketoconazole. If I add more crushed-up tablets, I'm gonna end up with an unworkable sludge.

So I need to isolate the API (ketoconazole). Does anyone have experience of this or something similar? Thanks in advance

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For the past few years, I've been crushing ketoconazole tablets into powder and adding it to my minoxidil.

It's been pretty successful, which is why I haven't been on the hair loss forum circuit for a few years. However, I've recently discontinued oral anti-androgens and would like to offset that by increasing the amount of ketoconazole (possibly adding finasteride and dutasteride, too) in my topical solution.

The problem is, however, there's a lot of unnecessary insoluble filler in the tablets that just sits at the bottom of the vial, and also gets stirred-up and deposited onto my scalp with every application, which is barely practical as it is. Lots of hair-washing required. (And yeah, I know about the shampoo, and I already use it, but I'd rather leave the ketoconazole on my scalp all day, and you can't do that with shampoo)

I know ketoconazole is insoluble in water, but there's way too much stuff left at the bottom to just be ketoconazole. If I add more crushed-up tablets, I'm gonna end up with an unworkable sludge.

So I need to isolate the API (ketoconazole). Does anyone have experience of this or something similar? Thanks in advance

Why don't you just buy ketoconazole foam?

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you just buy ketoconazole foam?
Wait, there's a ketoconazole foam??? Could you give me a link? I know there's a ketoconazole liquid but it seems to be prescription-only outside of a few regions of Portugal, and I can't find a source for it

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The cream is rather thick and not suited for use on the scalp. The foam is the best option for leave-in keto.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that's great! Do you have a specific procedure or do you just wing it? How do you know if the API makes it through the filter?
I just give my solution time to dissolve by letting it sit for a few hours or a day before I "press" it. Then I follow the normal aeropress procedure. I put the aeropress over a large beaker, pour my solution into the aeropress, then put in the plunger and plunge until I don't see any more liquid coming out and I hear a hiss of air. ez

It's certainly possible some of the API is lost, although that would likely be a possibility for any type of filtering. I'm not worried too much about that though, because 1) I use a metal filter and not paper, and 2) the aeropress creates pressure (about 0.25 - 0.5 bars) inside of the chamber to push the contents through the filter.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Do you go for 2% keto, as is typical in the shampoos, or do you go for a higher concentration?