Topical Finestride

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's been brought up before...but has anyone considered making a topical finestride....or better yet Dutasteride. On google I found a link: http://hairsite2.com/waseda/antiandrocr ... ummary.htm about some guys making some. It seems like it would make sense as long as it was absorbed enough. I guess this is basically what Revivogen does...but there just doesn't seem to be much success news with Revivogen.

Any thoughts?
-Joe

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan Shelton has some studies that show that IF topical finasteride is effective (there are some studies that failed to show that it was indeed effective), then it is effective, quite possibly, because it is systemically absorbed. Even if it's not effective, it might still be systemically absorbed.

But then that raises the question: if topical finasteride is systemically absorbed, what's the point of using it topically?

Lipoxidil.com sells topical finasteride and dutasteride formulations I believe. These formulations are supposedly delivered by way of liposomes, although some have expressed doubt that lipoxidil.com is really using liposomes as their delivery vehicle. Liposome formulations are very expensive. Dr. Lee was playing around with this for a while, and he was successful, but the stuff he came up with wasn't marketable. Why not? Too much money for the consumer. His liposome formulations were for minoxidil.

You can find these studies by doing a search for "topical finasteride." If Bryan is around, he can probably explain it a bit better.

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

HairLossTalk.com, I've tried to do some searching on topical propecia/finestride and didn't find anything to concrete......do you have any info on this area. It seems like the perfect solution to side effects.
-Joe

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In an interview (on this site) with HTL, Dr Lee mentioned that topical fina was tested by Merck in their original trials, however, they decided a pill was a more "marketable" option.

Isn't topical spironolactone a better option, spironolactone is a much more powerful anti-androgen that finasteride and is effective topically...

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
If topical spironolactone is as effective as propecia...Couldn't you just use that in your regimen if applied enough? Wonder how that would go =P.

I dont think its absorbed as much as we hope.

Then again if it is...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Lizzad said:
In an interview (on this site) with HTL, Dr Lee mentioned that topical fina was tested by Merck in their original trials, however, they decided a pill was a more "marketable" option.
For the record, we'd never heard this opinion before from any other sources, so can't verify its validity.

HairLossTalk.com