topical finasteride #

powersam

Reaction score
maybe i don't remember that study then. you say the women only lost body hair on the points at which the cream was applied?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that topical may have both local and systemic effects. Sort of like minoxidil.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
maybe i don't remember that study then. you say the women only lost body hair on the points at which the cream was applied?

Yep. That's pretty much it, if I recall correctly.

Bryan

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score
but in the end... does topical finasteride/dutas works or not?

this is something I want to try because I really dont want to take pills and such...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure, because of all these conflicting results. Maybe it depends to some extent on what kind of vehicle is used.

Bryan

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, I'm now using Lee's vehicle with my topical finasteride which contains higher alcohol/ppg ratio than regular minoxidil. You probably recall that it enables higher absorption. I believe this is why the finasteride gets absorbed systemically.
I wonder what would happen if I used the regular vehicle.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to show you how frustrating all this stuff can be, there's a well-known study in which finasteride was applied to hirsute areas of skin in women, and they used a VERY strong alcoholic vehicle! But surprisingly, there was NO apparent absorption at all; no "local" effect, and no systemic effect at all. As I'm fond of pointing out, the results of these topical finasteride studies have been all over the map...

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
yeah i remember i asked you about it a long time back and you gave me 4 or 5 studies on the topic, all with completely different results. a bit confusing really, though they all used different vehicles.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Just to show you how frustrating all this stuff can be, there's a well-known study in which finasteride was applied to hirsute areas of skin in women, and they used a VERY strong alcoholic vehicle! But surprisingly, there was NO apparent absorption at all; no "local" effect, and no systemic effect at all. As I'm fond of pointing out, the results of these topical finasteride studies have been all over the map...

Bryan

Yes, it is frustrating. I've backed off using finasteride. in my topical spironolactone. cream. (Well I use it once a week to use it up. But my main topical spironolactone. batch doesn't have any finasteride. in it.)

It really would be nice to know for sure. :(

However, I'm not really that sad because topical spironolactone. is doing as much as oral finasteride. ever did. I'm just plain lucky I guess.

Or is that unlucky? :hairy:

Scaramanga

Reaction score
Double A - a book recomending a dutasteride and Aloe Vera treatment has been getting a lot of publicity on the other forums.

So having recently given up on finasteride after three years due to side effects, I decided to mix half a crushed Proscar (5mg) into 30ml of 100% Aloe and apply it to my head. The mixture went a light white colour as the small particles of finasteride dissolved.

The results: Whoooah! After about 30 seconds, lightheadness struck - i was close to fainting! Washed it off in shower immediately - but my mood patterns that night and the day after definitely changed to those that I was under when taking oral finasteride.

Conclusion: rapid absorption of topical finasteride is definitely possible?? And effective? Or dangerous?! All opinions appreciated.

powersam

Reaction score
scaramanga you are in a unique position to test something (albeit unscientifically) because you feel the effects of finasteride so profoundly so soon.
would you consider trying topical finasteride in a cream base? if i gave you the specifics? just to see if you got that wave of lightheadednes that you did from the aloe-finasteride mix. the only reason i ask is that the only successful study of topical finasteride involved it being in a cream base rather than a solution. would you be game? wouldnt have to do it too many times, although bryan probably wouldnt approve of our methodology

Scaramanga

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Powersam. At the moment, I am a bit haunted by recent experience, so I am going to pass on your offer at this stage! Maybe in due course I'll build up the courage to have another shot at it. However, I do feel the extreme effects were due to the strength of the mixture - with 2.5mg proscar being 10 times stronger than the 0.25mg oral dose I used to take. I may experiment with a smaller dose of finasteride / aloe in the future.

powersam

Reaction score
why with the aloe? the only study that showed a positive result (beneficial results on hair without systemic absorption) was the one where they used finasteride in a cream base. you're the perfect one to try this as you feel the effects of finasteride so quickly. i can totally understand why you'd want to avoid finasteride, but if you do ever decide to try it topically again, please try it with a vehicle other than aloe. bryan could probably advise you on the best one to use.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have a reference to that experiemnt on the cream based topical finasteride?

I also used topical finasteride (put it inside minoxidil) for about 2 months with success but with side effects and then switched to topical sprio, which seems to be doing nothing.