Topical Caffeine Effective, But Is It Safe? (inhibits 5-α-reductase)

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read at least two studies that say caffeine helps grow hair, so I'm interested in getting topical caffeine, but I'm worried about safety.

Here's a quote from one study:

"Moreover, caffeine contained in cosmetics increases the microcirculation of blood in the skin and also stimulates the growth of hair through inhibition of the 5-α-reductase activity."

So, seeing how it inhibits 5-α-reductase, I'm concerned about it having the same kind of sides finasteride has, however, obviously, caffeine is consumed in copious amounts by men round the world through coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate and god knows what else and none of them end up with ED, so how is that?

Is it that the 5-α-reductase inhibition of finasteride is just immensely greater than that of any caffeine taken in through the average Joe's diet?

Do people who take other 5-α-reductase inhibitors like pumpkin oil and saw palmetto experience the same kind of sides as folks who take finasteride? And if not, why not? Is it that they inhibit less than F, or they don't inhibit all 3 types, or is it that F's sides are due in part or entirely to something else?

Here's a pumpkin seed oil study. Small sample size (76, half got placebo, half pumpkin seed oil), 1 placebo guy and 1 treatment guy got whole body itching sensation, one guy in treatment group got mild abdominal discomfort, that's it as far as sides go, no sexual dysfunction. No changes in liver enzyme or creatinine were observed in the intervention group. Serum-free testosterone levels were unchanged in both groups (Table 3). No intergroup differences in blood pressure or glucose were observed during the study period (Table 4).

Again, small sample size, but 24 weeks.

Last edited: