Topical 5ar1 Type 1 inhibitor

Prevent99

Reaction score
Most people are aware that finasteride is a 5ar1 type II inhibitor while dutasteride inhibits both types of DHT. dutasteride slightly outperformed finasteride in the clinical trials so it seems that elimination of the type 1 must have some added benefit. I take finasteride but do not want to systemically eliminate my type 1 5ar. What options are available for a topical 5ar1 inhibitor? Are there any studies proving their effectiveness or are they only speculative?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't forget - it may simply be that dutasteride is a better Type2 inhibitor! Studies have also shown that dutasteride can bind the different varients of type2 as well (as in genetic variants)

Prevent99

Reaction score
I have never read anything regarding different types of Type II 5ar. To my knowledge I think finasteride does a pretty good job of ridding our system of Type II. Even if what you say is correct, I still do not want to use dutasteride because I have concerns about eliminating 5ar Type 1 since it is present in the human brain.

I think using finasteride and something to topically inhibit the Type II 5ar should be more effective than finasteride alone.