Today my heart was shattered to pieces [serious]

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Today I went to jog across a wooded street near my place and as usual I go at dusk. I was feeling a little tired so I couldn't return jogging, so I walked instead. Then, near the trees, I saw a slim orange cat meowing loudly, and decided to approach him. It, of course, was scared but let me touch it anyway. I instantly noticed it didn't have a tail, at least it was my first impression from the angle I was standing.

It didn't bother me at all because my cat is a bobtail, and his tail is minuscule and curved, sometimes seeming almost nonexistent. As I approached it more, I regretted it. Its tail was sliced off, probably with a knife, and it was still bleeding. I tried to approach it more but it got scared, and hid behind a brush, trying to dig something while meowing. I had the impression that it was trying to grab my attention to something that was there, so I decided to see what was making it do that. Well, his tail was there. I tried to take him to go to the vet, but he ran as fast as a bullet, and I ended up losing his sight.

When it comes to animals, I am really sensitive about it. I may be a hypocritical because I am still trying to cut my meat intake, but it really messes my head how someone can be so cruel to an innocent being. I have two cats and they are the light of my life, so I imagined them in that situation and immediately started to tear up.

Humans are literally trash.

This is more a rant/vent that I felt like sharing with you guys.

Last edited:

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Total animal lover here. I don't know how I would have handled seeing that. If you tried to catch the cat to help it, you did everything you could. I have rescued countless animals over the years from certain starvation or illness or death and have given them so much better lives. You have to hold onto that fact to help you cope with the reality that some animals will suffer and that you can't save them all. We can try.

I agree. The longer I live, the less faith I have in humanity. It's really going down the toilet fast. The instances of ugliness are rapidly outnumbering the acts of kindness.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Total animal lover here. I don't know how I would have handled seeing that. If you tried to catch the cat to help it, you did everything you could. I have rescued countless animals over the years from certain starvation or illness or death and have given them so much better lives. You have to hold onto that fact to help you cope with the reality that some animals will suffer and that you can't save them all. We can try.

I agree. The longer I live, the less faith I have in humanity. It's really going down the toilet fast. The instances of ugliness are rapidly outnumbering the acts of kindness.
Yeah man... That was a tough day for me. Couldn't stop thinking about that image of the cat trying to dig up his tail, as if it wanted to place it back where it belonged...

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man... That was a tough day for me. Couldn't stop thinking about that image of the cat trying to dig up his tail, as if it wanted to place it back where it belonged...
That's powerful. The fact that it affected you means you are a caring human. I often find myself more concerned about the pain and suffering and wellbeing of animals than POS humans.

You have to wonder whatever happened to that cat. Did the wound heal and did it survive? What was it thinking?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's powerful. The fact that it affected you means you are a caring human. I often find myself more concerned about the pain and suffering and wellbeing of animals than POS humans.

You have to wonder whatever happened to that cat. Did the wound heal and did it survive? What was it thinking?
I tried to go back to the same place I found it but it was nowhere to be found. Its tail wasn't there either, so I don't know what might've happened. I hope, really hope, someone took it to care and that it's safe now.

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope so, too. Poor cat. Reading this made me look down at my pet tabby and give him a hug and make sure he is safe and warm.

I had another pet cat die in my arms last summer. He was very sick and there was nothing we could do to save him. I held him in my arms as his little life left his body. He lost control of his bladder and peed on the floor as that happened and I knew he was gone. I cried my eyes out for a while. We've had to put other cats to sleep over the past 20 years and always is so painful.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
A year and a half ago I was on a long walk on the countryside and I also saw a cat missing half of its tail, but it looked like it had beeen broken off (there was broken bloody bone sticking out) rather than cut off. It ran as I approached. Poor thing, hope it turned out ok for it.