To zak84 or anyone else who got oily skin from propecia

Dougie

Reaction score
Did the oily skin go away and how long did it take to go away? Was it gradual or did it just suddenly go away as quickly as it started?

I've been on this for about two weeks now and although I'm not getting any acne, my skin is so oily that I'm about ready to call it quits.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
it went away after about 3 1/2 weeks, i guess it just faded away, oily skin is the least of my problems =)

Dougie

Reaction score
3 1/2? Well I guess I can hang in there for a couple more and see what happens. Thanks for the reply! :rockon:

Stingray

Reaction score
Took about a month for me..had an acne flare up, but it went away REAL quick. Just don't worry you weener. Take that sh*t and grow your hair back!

bombscience

Reaction score
I would reccomend going and getting some of that neutrogena face wash (orange kind). It leaves your face less oily, but not too dry.

Works well for me.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Dougie said:
I've been on this for about two weeks now and although I'm not getting any acne, my skin is so oily that I'm about ready to call it quits.
Very common. You're dealing with the preliminary increased Testosterone. It will reverse and your skin may become very dry during month two. I wouldn't consider quitting the treatment entirely, just because of some oily skin though. Mine got so oily that my eyelashes stuck together at times. I could wipe them and feel it. Im the posterboy for excessive propecia effects though...

Hang in there!

HairLossTalk.com

Dougie

Reaction score
Hmm it's still not letting up.

What do you mean by preliminary testosterone increase? My understanding is that propecia will cause a permanant 10-20% increase.

I'll give it two more weeks before I call it quits for a couple of years. I'd rather get a hair transplant than deal with this.

G

maybe you guys have acne, dont blame it on the propecia. i hear proactive works

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DeD, Propecia can give you acne. It happened to me,. just went away quickly like it does for most. If it sets in about a week after you start the Propecia, its pretty obvious whats to blame.

Sorry, Doug. That sucks. You could do as DeD suggests and use proactive as well. Or just go with some DHT inhibiting topical.

Dougie

Reaction score
Well it's the oily skin I can't deal with - not the acne. I travel and do a lot of outdoors stuff that doesn't allow me to shower daily and consequently always turn into a giant greaseball.

Maybe I will try a low dose of dusteride and see if that works okay. All I'm trying to do is stop my hair loss - I'll just get a hair transplant to replace what I've lost when it stops progressing.