Tips For Preparing For Dr. Cooley Fut

neko

My Regimen
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I will have my FUT with Dr. Cooley (about 3500 to the crown and front) plus PRP.

I will be flying in and staying for a week near his office.

Any practical tips for preparing/packing? Dos and don'ts? Things to take? How to protect the transplant areas while traveling? How to keep the head warm? When is it ok to resume taking vitamins (b complex and magnesium)?

The instructions I received from the clinic were only for the day of the operation.

Thanks

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in a very similar situation, waiting for my imminent FUT procedure and trying my best to understand pre-op and post-op needs.
What I have gathered so far:
-Pre-op: avoid anything that potentially thins your blood, as it can cause excess bleeding during the procedure (hence no aspirins, alcohol, caffeine). Also stop taking any vitamins, as it could contain the ones that are natural blood thinners (Vitamin E and B, if I got it right).
-Post-op: go heavy on anti-inflammatory foods.

However, when I looked further into blood thinners, they very much overlap with anti-inflammatory foods! For example, green tea which is known to be high in antioxidants and has many health benefits, but could interfere with blood clotting, so is in fact something I should avoid pre-op???
I generally do a diet high in anti-oxidants (berries, avocado, spinach, herbs, olive oil, fatty fish, omega 3 fats), but many of those are also natural blood thinners, so I'm at a loss as to how to approach this.

My general conclusion:
Follow the main advise for pre-op: no alcohol/caffeine, stop using Minoxidil, stop taking any supplements other than DHT-blockers (zinc/saw palmetto), and eat a generally balanced healthy diet, and I would expect a normal level of blood coagulation.
Post-op: go heavy on anti-inflammatory foods, follow all the procedures (saline sprays etc).
One thing common for both pre and post op: Minimise highly processed foods and sugar.

Any thoughts welcome.

Last edited:

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also to thicken blood pre-op, I think we should aim for a diet high in Vitamin K, calcium and copper.
This means: greens, carrots, berries, fish, beans, nuts, seeds, avocado and coconut.
Confusingly, some of the above are high in omega 3, which may increased the effect of blood thinning...so I think it's pointless trying to be so specific and just balance your diet leading up to the operation.

neko

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Coincidentally after my post I got a call from Dr. Cooley's nurse to check-in, and she answered my questions. Here are the highlights:
1) Like you said, supplements are ok, but no blood-thinners.
2) Post op: avoid activity that might stretch the donor area stitch and be careful not to get it infected (touching directly on public areas such as seats in an airplane).

I used to take lots of supplements, but lately my main ones are: B complex + methylfolate for energy and magnesium for relaxation. I also just started TrueHNS as an alternative to the HelpHair shakes (the nurse told me I can take that if I don't want the shake). I am taking the shake some but I don't prefer it because it's too much sweetened. The shake/TrueHNS will help with the hair regrowth as recommended by the doctor.

Most of the time I avoid sugar/excess carbs, but I will cut the added sugar completely and refined carbs for the next few weeks and as long as I can. I also like eating berries as a dessert.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: I just also realised saw palmetto has blood thinning properties!
Zinc on the other hand assists blod clotting, so I'll stick to Finasteride+zinc only until the big day.