Throw in the Towel??

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
im 28 and ive been on propecia for a year now, and minoxidil for 3 months. i still have good coverage, but i have to use a little toppik in the back. when i started my fight a year ago, i had a hell of a head of hair. since then, i have not seen any regrowth, slowing down, or stopping of the thinning of my hair. i still have alot of hair, but the density is gone and the hairline is slowly receeding all along. my hair went from 3/4 an inch off my head to 3". minoxidil seemed to speed things up with no promise of anything good to come.

should i throw in the towel with this crappy daily exercise and see what mother nature has in store for me, then get a hair transplant or what?? i would really love to stop the daily grind for hair that isnt getting better. im afraid that if i continue that it will get worse to the point when it is more noticeable, then i quit and everything falls out. every hair that falls out is thinner at the root. is this stuff doing me any good or is it not working for me?? i want to quit this stuff and get a hair transplant and hopefully get a better looking hairline and more density. what is the advice??

Headache

Reaction score
Almost in the same boat...

I feel your pain, but I think you just have to stick with it.

I have been on the Big 3 for 7 months, but things don't seem to be getting better. That said, I can't see how it would help your cause to stop.

I have also thought about a hair transplant in the future. The most frustrating part for me is that I work as a reporter for TV station, and everytime I see myself on camera I notice the thinning. It sucks!

Toppik has helped to conceal, but I hope a turnaround starts soon.

Good Luck!

Cassin

Reaction score
Scuffernoose, I think you will discover how much it has helped once you stop treatments and see the fallout afterwards. Plus people don't seem to udnerstand that you can't get an hair transplant until male pattern baldness has stabilized. You will simply have to get on treatments again.

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
you must have anxiety filled days. mine may not be broadcast, but i work at a school district and i could pass for a student. when i started there 3 years ago everyone saw a full youthfull head of hair i could do anything with. now i am stressing myself every day to keep the appearance that i am not going through male pattern baldness. i certainly dread days when i may have to shave my head and show a thinning pattern, while amongst hs students with hair they dont even have to comb in the morning. i dont have a great head for shaving, but the thinning is slowly happening over my entire head, so i may not be able to pull off a ben stiller or johnny knoxville and still look cool, and vin diesel is out of the question.

i just hate thinking that i have to go through all this trouble for the rest of my life if i want to have a good looking hair style. and im afraid that a hair transplant may never give me a good head of hair if it goes away, but i would rather that then staying on a regimine every day forever. i dont know if it help to get off the regimine, but if hairloss hasnt stopped by now im wondering if it ever will. if i spend all this money and time just to keep my hair for an extra 6 months, i dont know if it is worth it. especially if it may be doing nothing in the first place.

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
Scuffernoose, I think you will discover how much it has helped once you stop treatments and see the fallout afterwards. Plus people don't seem to udnerstand that you can't get an hair transplant until male pattern baldness has stabilized. You will simply have to get on treatments again.

do you think its helping even though the progression has been steady throughout?? i have yet to see a month pass that is better or even the same as the last. before i got on a regimine the time of progression was the same except with a hell of a lot better density and coverage. now it is progressing but with less density and coverage.

who told you that mbp has to stablize?? ive heard many claims that people get transplants as it goes so they dont have to ever go through a bald faze, and on the alavi web site it says that starting early helps conceil it, which i would expect to mean that the idea is to not have a faze where your hair gets so thin or receeds that it looks like your balding. i hope im right, because when i cut my hair short, it looks very thin in there, and the hairline doesnt fit my head. im hoping that soon i might be able to get some density put back in my hairline.

Headache

Reaction score
Stay postive...

I know it sounds corny to say, but we all have to understand that hair does not equal life. Trust me, I've had plenty of sleepless nights over my hair loss, but then I just look at my wife and son and think how silly I am to worry about it so much.

You're doing the right thing by being on the Big 3. Like the other poster said, you may not notice it's doing some good until you stop it. As for the long term...if it's really bugging you, then an hair transplant is probably the option.

There are certainly some good doctors out there. It's just a matter of doing the research and spending the money.

Again... Good Luck and stay positive!

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:20 pm Post subject: Stay postive...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it sounds corny to say, but we all have to understand that hair does not equal life. Trust me, I've had plenty of sleepless nights over my hair loss, but then I just look at my wife and son and think how silly I am to worry about it so much.

You're doing the right thing by being on the Big 3. Like the other poster said, you may not notice it's doing some good until you stop it. As for the long term...if it's really bugging you, then an hair transplant is probably the option.

There are certainly some good doctors out there. It's just a matter of doing the research and spending the money.

Again... Good Luck and stay positive!

thanks brother. maybe hypnotism could convince me that i am as damn fine without hair as i am with. unfortunatly i know that most people are as shallow about looks as i am.

maybe i need to get one of those things... what did you call it?? a wife?? maybe then i wouldnt feel so much pressure to find someone at the top of my game than at the bottom.

good luck to you too.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
You are both right in a way: I have "high temples" and a bit of thinning in the front in between. I have had a hair transplant done this summer. I am only 23 but I wanted to enjoy my youth rather than wait until I was 35 when most get their done. I had been on finasteride for 1 1/2 year when I had the operation.

I could of course have transplants in the hairless temple areas, but not in the thinning mid-front section. This is because, the transplanted hairs can actually shock the existing hairs if the stand too close. They said that your hairs need to stand 1,5 mm apart before they can operate on you.

Hope this helps.

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
You are both right in a way: I have "high temples" and a bit of thinning in the front in between. I have had a hair transplant done this summer. I am only 23 but I wanted to enjoy my youth rather than wait until I was 35 when most get their done. I had been on finasteride for 1 1/2 year when I had the operation.

I could of course have transplants in the hairless temple areas, but not in the thinning mid-front section. This is because, the transplanted hairs can actually shock the existing hairs if the stand too close. They said that your hairs need to stand 1,5 mm apart before they can operate on you.

Hope this helps.

wow. very informative. i guess that puts me off a little longer for density in the front, but the temples are coming along nicely.

what if your density in the hairline is better than 1.5mm, but the front has moved back with the temples enough that you want it lowered a bit to fit your face and headshape, then go from there in years to come?? im not looking for a teenage hairline, just one that fits me, or to at least keep the one i have. ive noticed that my hairline is moving back with my temples as they also get wider.

also, did they talk about the quality of hair they are willing to replace?? what i mean is hair closer than 1.5mm but nearly invisible to sight so that you can see the shine of your scalp through it.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on the BIG 3 with an additional blend of daily multi-vits as a part of my war on hair-terror. So far it appears to be working as i've noticed some new hairs growing in and areas of difficulty seem to be patching back in. Had I waited any longer I believe I would have been doomed as it's majorly hard to grow back a bowling ball.

I will keep everyone posted with hoped this formula will work..

Good luck m8

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Scuffernoose said:

Hope this helps.

wow. very informative. i guess that puts me off a little longer for density in the front, but the temples are coming along nicely.

what if your density in the hairline is better than 1.5mm, but the front has moved back with the temples enough that you want it lowered a bit to fit your face and headshape, then go from there in years to come?? im not looking for a teenage hairline, just one that fits me, or to at least keep the one i have. ive noticed that my hairline is moving back with my temples as they also get wider.

also, did they talk about the quality of hair they are willing to replace?? what i mean is hair closer than 1.5mm but nearly invisible to sight so that you can see the shine of your scalp through it.

They don't replace hairs, meaning: they dont pull weak hairs out and put strong hairs in instead.

Like I said, In all hairless areas they can easily transplant. If your hairline has moved back, then they can remake this hairline of yours.

I will give you an advice though: If your serious about it, then make sure you get the DHI-operation as opposed to the Strip-version. In the DHI they take one hair at the time from your back, wheras in the Strip they take a whole strip of your skin so you will have a big ugly scar for the rest of you life, which means: if your treatments doesn't work and you cant afford any more operations, then you will have to shave it all off. But thats kind of difficult with a big scar in the back of your head. There is no scarring with DHI. BUT is costs a bit more. I got my done i Athens, Greece with this company http://www.dhi.gr they have also clinics in other countries.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
the problem with geting a hair transplant when you still losing hair is you dont know how bald you will go, and may not have enough to give coverage also you doner area might thin too which will make the transplanted hair thin out
so before you get a hair transplant ether stop you hairloss with drugs or wait till it stablizes naturally

give the minoxidil sometime my brother has had great regrowth and he only use 5%

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:13 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scuffernoose wrote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

They don't replace hairs, meaning: they dont pull weak hairs out and put strong hairs in instead.

Like I said, In all hairless areas they can easily transplant. If your hairline has moved back, then they can remake this hairline of yours.

I will give you an advice though: If your serious about it, then make sure you get the DHI-operation as opposed to the Strip-version. In the DHI they take one hair at the time from your back, wheras in the Strip they take a whole strip of your skin so you will have a big ugly scar for the rest of you life, which means: if your treatments doesn't work and you cant afford any more operations, then you will have to shave it all off. But thats kind of difficult with a big scar in the back of your head. There is no scarring with DHI. BUT is costs a bit more. I got my done i Athens, Greece with this company http://www.dhi.gr they have also clinics in other countries.

i dont mean replace as in pulling smaller hairs and replacing with bigger hairs, i mean transplanting bigger hairs to places where hair of poor quality exists. i have hairs in my temples that are very fine and dont show up unless the light hits them right. i have cobbweb sized hairs all over my head mixed in with thicker and thickest hair. i still have alot of hair all over, but there are so many thin ones that my scalp shows. i know i still may be a little ways away, but if my head progresses to the place where i still have alot of hair, but the hair is as fine as a 90 year old man, i am hoping that they can place better hair in those areas so i dont have to look like im balding.

how did your proceedure turn out?? how many grafts did you get, and are you able to style your hair any way you want without looking like your going bald??

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Cant really tell yet. The hairs havent grown out yet, but will do so in a couple of months. If I maintain what I have now for the foreseeable future, then I will definitely be able to style my hair and look normal. My nightmare will be, if Dutasteride isn't working and no cure is around the corner. Can't afford more hair transplant's.

I made an appointment for 800 grafts, but it turned out that one of the doctors wasn't satisfied with my hairline so he said that I should come back the day after and then he gave me 3-400 extra grafts free of charge!!!