thrilhouse's story

G

Hello ladies!
I am a newbie, and have found great comfirt on this site!
My hair loss started in the first week of August and has not let up! The first 4 derms I went to see all said "Telogen Effluvium" and relax it'll come back. The last derm I went to actually agreed to give me scalp biopsy and it came back Androgenetic Alopecia. I don't understand this due to no one in my family having this. I have lost 60% of my hair in a little under five months! I started rogaine 2% three weeks ago, and still I shed like carzy! I also have seb-derm.
The third derm I went to see actually gave me spironolactone "just in case" and I've been on that for 3 months and nothing! It is so devastating to just watch the hair go, and so quickly! Has anyone ever gotten a scalp biopsy that was wrong? This guy I saw didn't even let me see my results, nor explain why he thought it was Androgenetic Alopecia. On top of that, I have to write a formal requst to the hospital he works at to get copies of my results. Also he sais my ferratin level is at 55, which he described as being "pretty good". How professional is that?

Stacey

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Stacey! Welcome to the forum.
There is a lot of info that you'll be able to get here. All of the ladies here are great.
Laura and Maya are especially helpful.
Good luck to you. :)

G

Hi Stacey, welcome to the board! It would be nice if you registered :)

Anyway, shedding on minoxidil is very common. The most simple way to explain it is that the rogaine is kicking out hairs that were bound to fall out anyway, to make room for new growth. A shed can last even 6 weeks!

Sorry to hear about your incompetent dermatologists. Unfortunately though, not too many scalp biopsies are wrong.

As for your seborrhic dermatitis, you can get a very good shampoo in the supermarket called Nizoral (in the dandruff section) to help with this. It will keep your scalp in healthy condition. You can also alternate it with T/Sal.

As for your ferritin levels, 55 is okay, but you need at least 70 to have healthy hair, and I believe above 90 for regrowth.

As for the spironolactone, give it about 6 months. It should help slow the shedding, if anything.

What were your blood tests like?

:)

Laura

thrilhouse

Reaction score
Hi Laura,
My blood results he didn't even tell me when I was there! I had to call for three weeks after that just for him to tell me my ferratin leve and said my thyroid looked "okay". I just thought it was wierd he didn't even have my file or anything with him. My shedding has been the same for at least 2 months now, but it still comes out a lot when I comb it, and after while it's still wet, and when it's dry it comes out a lot too! It's like the Telogen Effluvium is still there! I went to my pcp and she took more blood and Friday is giving me a refrreral to see an endo. I got the Telogen Effluvium from losing 40lbs. too fast I guess, but I've been on diets before where I lost a lot of weight and nothing ever happened to me. I think my ortho tri-cyclen is screwing me up too. I've been on it for 1.5 years and am seriously thinking of going off. I am afraid of shedding more though! As I sit here and write this my hair is wet and when I ran my fingers through it seven hairs came out! I don't understand it!

thrilhouse

Reaction score
Laura,
One more thing, my shed has been at about 130 or more on the days that I wash (every other day) and about 50+ when I don't.
- Stacey

thrilhouse

Reaction score
Laura,
One more question, do you have Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium?

- Stacey

G

Hi Stacey,

I unfortunately have Androgenetic Alopecia. Like many other people I was in denial at first (kept on trying to reassure myself it was only Telogen Effluvium...which my mom still believes despite strong evidence that it is Androgenetic Alopecia haha) but by now I've come to accept it and just dilligently put on my Rogaine.

As for washing your hair, unless your hair is extremely dry or curly, it is best to clean it every day. This prevents build up and maintains a healthy environment for the scalp. That's why something like Nizoral is beneficial.

You will actually notice more hair loss if you don't wash every day. Think about it this way, the hairs that you lose in the shower were bound to fall out anyway. Say you wash your hair on Monday, and 30 fall out. Then on Tuesday another 30 fall out. But if you wash on Monday, and skip Tuesday, and wash again on Wednesday, the hairs that would have fallen out in the shower on Tuesday probably will come out on Wednesday (what a mouthful!). Therefore it gives the appearance of more hair loss on showering days.

The normal rate for hair loss per day is about 50 - 100.

Good luck with your endo appointment!

Happy holidays,

Laura :)

thrilhouse

Reaction score
Laura,

Thank you so much for writing back to me, it means a lot! Right now it is 4:eek:o am and I can't sleep- panick attacks. I am driving my husband nuts! The prospect of looking so bad is frightening to me. My hair loss is more like 75% you can see my scalp clearly from the top, and I can't even hide the sides anymore either. My hair is at just below my ears. You can see right through my bangs- UGH!! Do you use 5% rogaine or 2%, I am currently using 2% and I am losing it! Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Stacey

G

Hi Stacey,

I use 5%. The only reason it is not directly marketed towards women is the possible chance of excess facial and body fuzz/hair growth.

I believe though that some people experience more shedding with 5%.

You could try 5% at night and 2% in the morning, if you would like to try a higher dosage/cocentration of minoxidil.

:)

Laura