threats77's Story

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
hey there,

just came across this forum today! glad to be here,anyways i'm 23 years old and i think my hair is thinning,well i dont know exactly,ill explain my story right now..ok i started shaving my head back in 10th grade when i was 15,than when i was 17 i use to bic my head,i did that for about a year,than when i was 18,i noticed my hair on top doesnt grow as fast as it does around,so i let it grow for along time,it took about 4 months for it to cover the top of my head,now i tried it in early 05 and it would take way longer than 4 months,my family isnt really bald at all,a couple uncles went bald after they turned 50, my dad has thinning hair on top,but its not that bad at all,my brother doesnt have any hair loss or thinning hair. so my question is what all do you think i should do? i went to a doctor b4 and he said i should wait til im at least 22 to do surgery,i havent been back there since! right now i dont care for the thinning hair cuz ive been shaving my head even b4 this happened,but what if i decide i want to have surgery or take some meds,my question is can i still shave my head after surgery and while taking say propecia and rogaine,would it be pointless to shave head during the process of taking them? any help would be much appreciate,and sorry if you guys got alil confused,i dont know how to state my situation.thanks

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: threats77 story..help would be much appreciated

It would not be pointless. I would definitely continue to shave my head if I were you. This will make it so much easier on you. For starters, you never have to deal with the massive sheds that people talk about on finasteride and minoxidil. Second, people are already used to you having little to no hair. This way, you don't have to worry about how your progress is doing. A year from now, if you start using them both, then you can grow your hair longer to see how you are doing.

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, I noticed your second question about after surgery. If you like the no hair, shaved look, I would not recommend you get surgery. You will have scarring, and when you shave your head, people will be able to see.

Thats not really a great option for you, in my opinion.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
There are options for surgery:

If you don't want scarring, there is a procedure, although more expensive than cutting your scalp, called Follecular Unit Extraction (FUE), whereby individual follicles are removed from the donor area and place on top of you head. It's a bit more expensive, but if you ever want to shave your head, you're in the clear.

I would still take meds, however, because one day you might want to grow your hair out a bit longer.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply guys! but im assuming as i get older its going to get worse..well i like shaving my head,but sometimes i wish i could shave it not as short as i have my whole life! thats one reason i would consider doing something,whats an estimate price on FUE? i do like the no hair look,but i want to shave my head longer, thanks guys!!