This Might Be The Missing Link Between Wounding And Hair Regeneration Very Interesting Study

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5378973/
this is very recent study with some amazing findings regarding wounding and hair follicle regeneration.
though this study is on mice but we know wounding works on humans too.

In this study they have basically trying to identify what causes the HF regeneration and how to tweak the results.

these are the brand new findings "
(1) myeloid-derived macrophages, but not the tissue-resident macrophages are essential for the both WIH-A and WIHN.
(2) Ly6C+ inflammatory macrophages showed distinctive gene expression pattern in cytokines compared with CX3CR1 resident macrophages and neutrophils.
(3) TNF plays an important role in WIH-A and WIHN.
(4) In epidermal stem cells TNF-α causes AKT phosphorylation and activation of β-catenin which appears independent of Wnt ligand binding.
(5) TNF-induced p-AKT in Lgr-5+ HFSCs was crucial for WIH-A and WIHN.

where WIHN =WOUND INDUCED HAIR FOLLICLE NEOGENESIS.
WIH-A= WOUND INDUCED HAIR FOLLICLE ANAGEN INITIATION.

so basically WE HAVE TO INCREASE TNF ALPHA WHILE DERMAROLLING .
this study also state that beta-catenin can be induced with out wnt by using AKT/b-cantenin pathway.

GotHair?

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Very interesting. Now the question is if there is a drug or cream that can increase TNF alpha in medically safe manner and reach the follicles through the skin.

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. Very interesting. Now the question is if there is a drug or cream that can increase TNF alpha in medically safe manner and reach the follicles through the skin.

may be follica is trying to do the same to induce macrophages and TNF at wound site.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is all well and good and it may absolutely create new follicles BUT... arent these new follicles also going to fall victim to whatever is causing the hair loss in the first place?

I still don't see anything that's going to prevent hair loss from happening
I can grow crops all day in great fertile soil but not so much in the desert ( aka the top of my scalp)

Last edited:

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So if we want to increase tnf A it seems uv light does that ! Peaks 8 hours after exposure. So could it be as simple as getting sun on the area 8 hours before dermarolling ? Cant hurt to try ?

the problem is according to study and what i understand being an engineer not a bio guy. "tissue resident macrophages are not very good for WIHN"
(1) myeloid-derived macrophages, but not the tissue-resident macrophages are essential for the both WIH-A and WIHN.

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is all well and good and it may absolutely create new follicles BUT... arent these new follicles also going to fall victim to whatever is causing the hair loss in the first place?

see the DHT leads to DP cell death by increasing DKK-1 a pro-apoptotic protein and down-regulating wnt/B-catenin which is crucial for HFSCs to convert in progenitor cells. this approach induces beta-catenin by AKT/b-catenin pathway which is not affected by DKK-1

Furthermore, although TNF increased the expression levels of Wnt3a, Wnt7b and Wnt10b in cultured Epi-SCs (Supplementary Fig. 6a), DKK1 (a Wnt antagonist) treatment failed to reduce TNF-induced β-catenin transcriptional activity