Thinking of starting finasteride. (at 18)

barcafan

Reaction score
18 years old, Norwood 2 (So they say). Dad was bald at 25, every man in family has at least some degree of baldness (moreso on fathers side). Brother has all of his hair @ 25.

Basically i think that i'll be Norwood 4+ at around 25 (Although i can be completely off, it's just a prediction). I am definetly thinning in the temples / mid-anterior scalp region (slightly on the latter).

I was thinknig of buying Fincar (5mg finasteride.) and then splitting it 8 ways (.625 MG/dose). What do you guys think? should i wait a little before trying finasteride? Is 18 too young? I dont want to potentially f*** up my future development... Would using minoxidil for a while and then adding finasteride be a good idea?

Any thoughts?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know if 18 is too young. I think the Propecia website said 18 or older, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure it tells you on the website though. I'm sorry to hear hair loss is hitting you so early. I'm pretty screwed from both ends of my family myself. I just thought I'd let you know that the fincar tabs may be smaller than you think. I just tried splitting a 1/4 into two 1/8s with a splitter the other day, and it didn't work so well. I'm about to try dividing it into 6ths. That may be something to consider too. For the record, I've been on minoxidil for about 7 months now. Results are slow and small, so prepare to be patient. I'm now just starting fincar and have been on it a little less than a month. I have noticed some sexual side effects, but I'm gonna try lowering the dose for a while. I'm 23 now by the way. I can't tell you what the risks are exactly because no one seems to know for sure. All I can say is make the decision you think you can live with best, and don't let other people tell you you're wrong for feeling the way you do.

G

I think starting finasteride before talking to a doctor would be a mistake. If he tells you it's fine, there's no reason not to take 1 mg or 1.25 mg of finasteride a day.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
I think starting finasteride before talking to a doctor would be a mistake. If he tells you it's fine, there's no reason not to take 1 mg or 1.25 mg of finasteride a day.

Problem is not all doctors are experts. Some are prescribing meds too easy, others are scared to death to give you even the simplest medication. Anyway i agree that you should visit a doctor but if you are scared I believe that minoxidil+nizoral would be enough for 1 year or 2, until you put finasteride on the mix.

G

sphlanx2006 said:
JayMan said:

Problem is not all doctors are experts. Some are prescribing meds too easy, others are scared to death to give you even the simplest medication. Anyway i agree that you should visit a doctor but if you are scared I believe that minoxidil+nizoral would be enough for 1 year or 2, until you put finasteride on the mix.

I agree with that, doctors can be real jerks..... Additionally I would suggest spironolactone cream as topical for the hairline recession. Good Luck, barcafan!

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
What does spironolactone even do specifically? I hear people talk about it, but I thought I heard somewhere it was for women. I'm wondering because my hairline is my issue too. How do you know how well it works or how safe it is, Taugenichts? Have you tried it before? I just noticed it's not in you regimen.

jd24

Established Member
Reaction score
a lot of doctors dont know what it is
does anyone know of any good services in the uk to get checked out before going on propecia