Thicker hair after just 1 month on finasteride???!!!

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you're going to say - everything I've read says this isn't possible or at least very unlikely but I thought my hair was looking thicker after just 1 month on finasteride (plus 2 months on nizoral) and without using Min so I took another picture and it certainly looks like my hair is significantly thicker already. I can assure you both pictures were done with a similar length of hair, in the same room and under the same lighting. I've even made sure I pushed my hair apart as it was in the first picture.

Attachments

• 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 2,160
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,900
T

tellersquill

It looks thicker but the it good be the way you took the photo. Anyway, stay positive.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you're going to say - everything I've read says this isn't possible or at least very unlikely but I thought my hair was looking thicker after just 1 month on finasteride (plus 2 months on nizoral) and without using Min so I took another picture and it certainly looks like my hair is significantly thicker already. I can assure you both pictures were done with a similar length of hair, in the same room and under the same lighting. I've even made sure I pushed my hair apart as it was in the first picture.

If it is then congratulations... but... there's no way that is the same lighting unless you dyed your hair. It is reddish brown in the first pick and dark brown in the second. It is very rare that any medication can work that fast, and seeing how hair grows .5" per month... Not to burst your bubble man, stick with it of course!!

br1

Reaction score
finasteride changed the color of my hair too.. When I quit finasteride (was off it for 4 months), my hair started to become light brown.. Now, back on finasteride (1 month), it is MUCH darker. Just like the OP pics.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
In those pictures, it definitely looks like your hair has thickened.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride changed the color of my hair too.. When I quit finasteride (was off it for 4 months), my hair started to become light brown.. Now, back on finasteride (1 month), it is MUCH darker. Just like the OP pics.

Please explain how the entire strand of hair can change pigmentation in one month, when hair grows at a rate of .5" per month...

br1

Reaction score
Please explain how the entire strand of hair can change pigmentation in one month, when hair grows at a rate of .5" per month...

Does the hair need to shed and a new one grow for it to change its color?

I don't know, but my hair is darker now, after 1 month on finasteride. May be just my impression (?)

sirap

Reaction score
just because you take the photos in the same light doesn't mean the camera absorb the light in the same way every single time, there is a clear difference when it comes to light quality in your pictures, the angle is also quite different (can see your nose clearly in the first one, no nose in the second)

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
My guess would be one pic was taken in night with light on and the other taken in day probably with light on also. Definitely different lighting.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nope, as I said both pictures were taken at the same time of day in the same spot. Believe what you want but I'm not a liar. But lets pretend the lighting was slightly different do you really think you'd be able to see that much difference? Ther's big thinning areas in the first pic, they wouldn't just disappear if the lighting was slightly different. Ditto a slight difference in angle.
It's quite amusing really how people are looking for things to prove this is false; from the hair colour to an slight difference in angle. I wonder if people would even mention these things if I said I had thicker hair after 6 months? Because something doesn't fit into the status quo your brains can't handle it so instead of accepting what you see you have to look for something, no matter how minuscule, to justify what you believe.
Thing is, I've noticed other things such as I can now flick my hair up at the front without a lot of scalp showing and I havn't been able to do that for ages. But you guys wouldn't see that would you?
I'd be quite happy to take another picture in the evening if people want.

sirap

Reaction score
We are not saying your lying, we are saying there is a clear difference in the picture quality of the pictures you have posted. I too have taken pictures in the same spot, in the same light, time of day and position and the pictures have come out entirely different. Looking at your second picture and comparing the visible skin and other parts of the picture (like the upper left corner) makes the light look entirely different compared to the first picture and can definitely have the effect of making it look thicker. Heck look at your hair color, the difference is enormous. Couple that with the angle change and it can definitely have that effect, trust me, I have taken tons of pictures of my hair...

For heavens sake you say the length is the same but in one picture your hair looks like it's slick against the forehead and in the second it protrudes 1-2 centimeters, so either you are mistaken or the angle matters more than you think.

Had you posted this and said 6 months I would have simply asked you to retake the photos because it's impossible to tell when the photos are so different.

You are being defensive simply because people don't agree with you, if you want proper answers don't post ****ty pictures.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think they are ****ty pictures, I've seen plenty of worse pictures on this site and nobody's said anything, fact. Like I said, people are just looking for things because I said 1 "month".
Other people have commented on how my hair looks thicker as well btw.

sirap

Reaction score
I don't care that you wrote 1 month, there is a huge quality difference between the pictures and that's all I'm focused on, if you actually got regrowth that fast congratulations, doesn't change the bad pictures, and it's most likely not because of finasteride since that would mean your follicles skipped the telogen phase completely (which is not possible) considering hair only grow 1 cm per month (0.4 inches). And yes people say it looks thicker, because it does, and because of the ****ty pictures we can't really tell if it's because of the picture quality or if you actually got some regrowth. There is currently one post that says it looks thicker, the other posts said that with the disclaimer that it's possible it is because of the picture quality of your second picture.

Honestly if you can't see the color differences between the two pictures you might wanna take some test for colorblindness, and that's not even a joke.

What was your reason for posting these pictures here if you are just going to dismiss everyone who disagrees with you? You don't want peoples opinions, you want yay sayers to calm your mind about your own hairloss.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair does look better in the after picture, and the thinning at the front seems thickened. But I do agree that the picture quality is different. Congrats anyway.