The Story so far....

G

Hi there, I have been browsing this site to keep myself sane for about a year now so thought i might join in on the action....

Right Im a 22 yr old UK student who has experienced temple thinning over the last 2 years I guess! I only noticed about a yr ago, I guess I never thought it could happen to me; dad has the thickest hair you could have, both grandads had full heads when they died, only uncle is loosing it and he's nearly 50! Shitty luck or what! To put this into context I had been completely stressed out and unhappy over the previous 2 yrs with a messed up diet.

Anyway, when i discovered the thinning, I freaked to put it bluntly, got really down etc. Started minoxidil about may 2005 but hated it, a constant reminder of my thin shitty temples! Was so worried I paid £150 to see a derm consultant privately, she kinda reassured me, had blood work which revealed low Iron and Folic Acid levels which although were not dangerously low, were low enough to cause concern. She told me to get on Iron and Folic Acid supplements (and stop the multivitimin I had started to take cos my other levels were good) and it may sort itsself out for a while, or get on finasteride. She also said that the process had begun earlier due to telogen effuium (stress). I choose to start finasteride ASAP. Started in July 2005, no sides and no significant sheds of note.

Also I got hold of some Redken cleansing shampoo for thinning hair. Fast forward to present and after 9 months on finasteride my hair hasnt worsened, to be hair its not dramatically changed at all, which is a good thing right? Got on Nizoral about 6 weeks ago to try and give me a bit of a kick up the ***, those thin hairs on the temples will grow dammit!!! When I get to July I was thinking og trying a topical seeing as tho my hair seems stable, what do you reckon Xandrox or Dr Proctors stuff or standard cheap minoxidil 5%????

Anyway to recap, get on finasteride straight away. It will do one of 3 things:

1) Regrow some of the lost hair
2) Stop the hair loss
3) Dramatically slow the loss

Start with Nizoral straight away, I wish I did.

Give it time, at least a yr, then add something to the regime, this way at least you know what the added benefit of any other products are.

Most Important, I let it take over my life, I got really down. There is no point to this, the stress can only make it worse. Do all you can do and give it time, its better then before you were losing your hair, at least your proactively doing something.

Good Luck!!

P.S: I will hunt out some before and after pics

P.SS: What shall I add to the regime then???

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Destoriusuk said:
P.SS: What shall I add to the regime then???

Depends on your goal with it. If you want regrowth I would say minoxidil
But copper peptides could help you too, and it is not that long term commitment that minoxidil is.

Anyway, if you're maintaining at a reasonable level (I dont know your current Norwood), I wouldnt change anything unless you are looking for more regrowth. If it ain't broken...

G

Im between a norwood 1 and 2, the thing is i have my orginal hairline, but the hairs are so thin they are pretty much see through.... so you reckon just bog standard minoxidil? nothing fancy like Dr Lee or Doctor Proctor?

Thanks for the reply btw

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Destoriusuk said:
Im between a norwood 1 and 2, the thing is i have my orginal hairline, but the hairs are so thin they are pretty much see through.... so you reckon just bog standard minoxidil? nothing fancy like Dr Lee or Doctor Proctor?

Thanks for the reply btw

I would just go with the regular stuff. Those doctors have good intentions I guess, but their products arent proven to work any better than regular minoxidil, and you will pay a helluva lot more for them (so much for good intentions?). anyway I think you should give regular minoxidil a try, and if it doesnt work out you could go to Xandrox with a higher concentration of minoxidil + azelaic azid.

G

As a matter of interest, has any one on the board had any success moving from matienance on finasteride to some regrowth when minoxidil added?