the news about fats in your diet. (Here, bubka bubka bubka..

CCS

Reaction score
"essential fatty acids", which are mono and poly unsaturated, are very healthy, especially in the first 8g per day, and maybe up to 15g, but if you get 20% or 30% of your calories from mono and poly unsaturated fats, they become less healthy, and even suppress the immune system, and are prescribed for lupus patients. I don't know if that applies to virgin oils, or just processed oils. Both sides of the saturated vs unsaturated fat fense tend to shoot each other down by comparing their non-processed fats to the other side's processed fats.

Anyway, virgin coconut oil, coco butter, and I think i read butter, do not raise LDL, and have healthy effects, whereas processed versions do raise LDL. The studies showing how bad saturated fats tested processed fats, and sometimes hydrogenated oils. Medium length saturated fats are healthy, at least in the right amounts. It still seems good to stay below 30% of your daily calories from fat.

So I'm going to eat less nuts (aiming for maybe 15g of fat per day from them) and eat some unsweatened organic coconut flakes (aiming for 15g of saturated fat per day). Coconut oil has dose dependent benefits.

Even fish oil is bad in large amounts. 2g of long chain oils per day seems optimal, or maybe 3g is, but much more above that seems to go downhill. I also read you see the effects sooner if you eat the fish.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are articles about farmers giving their cows Coconut oil back in the 1950's in an effort to fatten them up cheaply. Guess what, the cows lost weight. Yes, that's lost weight even though they ate more food than they had before.

And we're supposed to believe that saturated fat is bad for you... BS.

bubka

Reaction score
CCS: a good diet is not about, I am going to eat 2.6 grams of xxx because it is mono unsat, and i am going to eat 38 grams of yyy because it is poly unsat, a good diet is limiting saturated and trans sat fats. I don't know how much more advice you need. Yet you go on with his OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE posts about how you eat "8g" of that and 15g of that, and eating "15g unsweatened organic coconut flakes"... that is just ridiculous

Harie: virtually all oils by default are going to be unsaturated

CCS

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Harie, I did not know that. I need to lose 10 pounds. I hope the flakes will work as well as the oil. 50% of their mass provides calories, of which 85% come from the fat. I'll still get the $7 oil for my skin. It should last forever.

bubka said:
Harie: virtually all oils by default are going to be unsaturated

Assuming the average length is 15 carbons, and we have randomness, then yeah, about 14/15 will be non-saturated. The article I read said that mono-unsaturated fat is worse than polyunsaturated fat, when you eat a lot of it. It is good when you get your first 8 grams or so, but is a liability when you get up past 20% of your total calories.

I was going to buy the oil, but the oil in the flakes is even cheaper, and I get the rest of the coconut. Since 15g sounds so compulsive, I'll just say 1 table spoon, or a small palmful.

And may i add, many plants have vitamins we can't absorb because we don't have the right enzymes to unlock them (though bacteria can help us with that). Saturated fats are much better than non-saturated fats at extracting these vitamins out of the food for us.

Just stay away from processed stuff and you should be good. Transfat is in almost every prepared food I can think of, including the ones that say "zero grams of transfat".

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
a good diet is limiting saturated and trans sat fats.

I'm going to disagree with you that limiting saturated fats is the key to a good diet. I can provide many links that say saturated fat is very good for you...And it's unsaturated fats that actually cause heart disease. In fact, if you look at the medical research cases where doctors tried to prove that diets low in saturated fat were better for you, failed. Well, all but 1 failed. Most proved the opposite.

You are definitely correct on the trans saturated fats though...Those things are BAD, BAD, BAD for you. And it pisses me off that foods labeled "No trans saturated fats" actually contain partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils. If that's not trans fat, I don't know what is.

CCS

Reaction score
harie,

only the partially unsaturated fat is transfat. But the hydrogenated oil is still kind of bad, or probably a bit worse than processed saturated fats. It is the unprocessed, virgin saturated fats that are good.

and cow fat is half saturated. They get more saturated if they are fed grain, and less saturated if they are fed nuts. so just because saturated fat is good does not mean cow fat is good, unless it was raised on something different.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Where can one find the meat of a "nut-fed" cow? Gardener's deep-freeze?

CCS

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Where can one find the meat of a "nut-fed" cow? Gardener's deep-freeze?

I thought cassin was the red neck barbeque expert. He probably has every kind of meat in his freezer. ...Oh, never mind. Yeah, Gardner would definitely be the one with that kind of meat.

bubka

Reaction score
Harie said:
bubka said:
a good diet is limiting saturated and trans sat fats.

I'm going to disagree with you that limiting saturated fats is the key to a good diet. I can provide many links that say saturated fat is very good for you...And it's unsaturated fats that actually cause heart disease. In fact, if you look at the medical research cases where doctors tried to prove that diets low in saturated fat were better for you, failed. Well, all but 1 failed. Most proved the opposite.

You are definitely correct on the trans saturated fats though...Those things are BAD, BAD, BAD for you. And it pisses me off that foods labeled "No trans saturated fats" actually contain partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils. If that's not trans fat, I don't know what is.
yes, those fail, because they are full of too much sugars, you have to get your calories from someplace, and low fat, high sugar does not work... 80% of all cholesterols is made by the body, eating high sugar is only promoting bad LDL vs eating healthy HDLs in the diet which does not happen in a low fat diet as you stated

The Gardener

Reaction score
I can understand that there is a role for saturated fat in the human diet (its our only source for CLA, for example). I can also understand that people who don't eat saturated fats may still gain weight.

But, I don't agree that eating high levels of saturated fats will help with the cholesterol situation.

Eating diets with lots of saturated fat (assuming no other mitigating factors) will contribute to elevated cholesterol levels in the body. Even if "80% of cholesterol is produced internally", eating more cholesterol laden foods will only add more cholesterol to the 80% that your body is already making.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
yes, those fail, because they are full of too much sugars, you have to get your calories from someplace, and low fat, high sugar does not work... 80% of all cholesterols is made by the body, eating high sugar is only promoting bad LDL vs eating healthy HDLs in the diet which does not happen in a low fat diet as you stated

The research I read on low saturated fat diets didn't say what they ate...It only said that they were diets low in saturated fats and cholesterol. You know, the diet that a typical American doctor would want you to eat. Almost every research project, no matter how many volunteers, showed that low cholesterol/low saturated fat actually promoted more heart attacks than high saturated fat/high cholesterol diets.

CCS

Reaction score
bubka said:
... eating healthy HDLs in the diet which does not happen in a low fat diet as you stated

You get LDLs and HDLs in your diet? How do we know which foods have more of each? These lipo-proteins contain cholesterol, but are not cholesterol themself, so I don't think any food lables would tell us. Do plants have either?

CCS

Reaction score
bubka said:
yes, as trans fats promote LDL, bad cholesterol, which cause the heart attacks, strokes.. etc...

transfats promote LDL and reduce HDL. Processed saturated fats only increase LDL, though good saturated fats don't raise LDL.

And to the guy with the CLA comment, CLA is not a saturated fat, though it is probably primarily only in foods that have saturated fat.