The Future of Hair Pieces.

JustBreathe

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen Propia Hair, I was impressed. Nano-tech for wigs.

It led me to think about the next jump forward in wig technology. Could we in the future (not to distant I hope) have the Hair Contact bonding system work for single strands? So that affixing these hairs would be somewhat like placing transplanted hairs.

I am aware that the bonding mechanism would have to be extremely strong.

Or perhaps somehow use tissue scafolds to support synthetic hair?

Please enlighten me as to why this can't work, I don't know that much about wigs....

JustBreathe

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok man, excellent point.

I saw it on their website with their photographers and models.

I clearly should have been more critical, hope is a funny trap.

Im surprised noone has theories on how to advance the wig industry.

How about microscopic machines implanted in your head that run off the kinetic energy from your body, these machines produce (fake) hairs from keratin(sp?) that you rub over your scalp?

sigh

Felk

Reaction score
I guess people want to be walking around with real hair on their heads, not fake stuff, therefore effort is put into making hair regrowth products.

Or at least making money out of hair regrowth products - regardless of their efficacy.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I think the main reason that people aren't going for super-advanced products like that is that there are already hairpieces that look perfectly realistic AND are affordable.

Most people haven't even upgraded to modern hairpieces (many are still using thick wigs with unsightly bases and WAY too much hair), let alone even THOUGHT about microscopic machines or tissue scaffolding. Those that have moved on to modern hairpieces are mostly satisfied with the look they get and it's possible to attach, clean, remove and style at home, since there's one piece of "mesh" involved, not thousands of microscopic mounting points.

Besides, most people that aren't okay with what's currently offered in hairpiece technology wouldn't wear "fake" hair at all, regardless of how advanced the attachment is. For people with a good bit of startup money and an adverse attitude towards wearing other peoples' hair, a transplant is a more viable option.

Honestly, it seems there'd be a prohibitive cost to something of that nature, and far too much risk and chance of something breaking or going wrong. For now, I'm sticking with my everyday toupee and glue.

I commend you for thinking outside of the box, though. It's interesting to consider what COULD be, with proper research and creativity.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
oDD_LotS said:
I think the main reason that people aren't going for super-advanced products like that is that there are already hairpieces that look perfectly realistic AND are affordable.
You have probably already been asked this question, but what kind of hairpiece do you wear and/or recommend? If you don't mind my asking. I'm getting a little tired of the mess of using concealers and have been thinking about hairpieces, as long as they are super realistic and won't come off.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I've only worn one company's pieces, so I can't give a great comparative opinion. One's a regular Super Fine Swiss base and the other is an injected skin-type base they call PSB. I like them, though I'm trying some new options (different base materials and a different base shape) with my newest order.

I'd recommend reading up on some of the online companies. I know that Michigan Baldy has tried most of them (HairDirect, Coolpiece, and Toplace) and said there were things about each that he liked. I haven't been lucky enough to try all of them yet, though. It seems that most people have their own favorite, based on what individual options are best for their situation.

You should check out the Hair Apparent boards. It's sponsored by Toplace, but they don't censor discussions about other companies, though obviously there's a bit more conversation centered around Toplace.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
oDD_LotS said:
I've only worn one company's pieces, so I can't give a great comparative opinion. One's a regular Super Fine Swiss base and the other is an injected skin-type base they call PSB. I like them, though I'm trying some new options (different base materials and a different base shape) with my newest order.

I'd recommend reading up on some of the online companies. I know that Michigan Baldy has tried most of them (HairDirect, Coolpiece, and Toplace) and said there were things about each that he liked. I haven't been lucky enough to try all of them yet, though. It seems that most people have their own favorite, based on what individual options are best for their situation.

You should check out the Hair Apparent boards. It's sponsored by Toplace, but they don't censor discussions about other companies, though obviously there's a bit more conversation centered around Toplace.
Ok, thanks!

Nesrednug

Reaction score
An hair transplant isn't always a viable option for people. What turns me off about it is that I would have to do something about the DHT levels otherwise all my other hair will continue to fall out around my transplanted hair. That means a lifetime of Propecia/Avodart/whatever? I can't take that stuff, it messes with my body too much. Tons of side effects that don't go away.

That, and/or keep having hair transplants. You'll run out of good donor sites eventually. And you'll never be able to shave your head or risk showing the huge scars left at the donor sites.

I would never consider surgery unless they get hair cloning perfected.

My attitude is that if I decide to get a hairpeice, I really don't give a rat's a55 who knows. I just want one so I can get some of the crazy hairstyles I used to have, which I can't do now. The shaved head look is boring me to death.

I say, show it off. Matter of fact, when someone compliments you on how good your hair looks, tell em that it's a piece and let their eyes bug out.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who used to sport a mowhawk and had my hair every color of the rainbow before...lol.. You may not want the attention, but confidence and a light attitude will get you far in life (and with the ladies) no matter what you look like.

amsterdam

Reaction score
Interesting.. thanks for posting.

I have been curious about pieces.. I have a few concerns I was hoping you could help me with. Anyone with experience please feel free to respond.

1. How hard is it to get off? (If a girl were tugging on it for example)
2. Do you think it is damaging your scalp? (I'm hoping to eventually get HM down the road and was hoping it wouldn't damage the sebum)
3. How do girlfriends respond when they find out, and do you tell people you are dating right away that you are wearing?
4. How much does it cost annually?
5. Who do you buy your pieces from?
6. Can you go swimming? (I doubt it but I'm curious)

I appreciate your time.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
1. How hard is it to get off? (If a girl were tugging on it for example)

It depends on the tape/glue you use and how "fresh" your attachment is. For example, when I use blue tape at the sides and back it's a VERY strong bond, whereas the white glue (a milder glue, chemically speaking) is a little weaker. It still holds GREAT, but it wouldn't hold up to extreme tugging as well as a stronger glue such as Ultrahold or Max Grafting Solution.

2. Do you think it is damaging your scalp? (I'm hoping to eventually get HM down the road and was hoping it wouldn't damage the sebum)

I don't personally think I'm doing any damage, as I take my piece off VERY carefully and mostly use glues that aren't very harsh. It is possible for a piece to cause damage to the hair or scalp, but I'm careful to take good care of my noggin.

3. How do girlfriends respond when they find out, and do you tell people you are dating right away that you are wearing?

My fiancee was with me before I got a piece, and I decided to suprise her by wearing it to the airport (we're a long distance couple). She was shocked, even though she knew I was HEAVILY considering it. Now she really likes the look, though she wishes I spent less time looking in the mirror (after years of having thin, limp hair I can't take my eyes off of the thick, shiny mane I have now). :)

4. How much does it cost annually?

I'd estimate that I spend $1200-1500 a year. It wouldn't cost as much, but I have long hair which increases the cost, and I'm a hair product junkie!

5. Who do you buy your pieces from?

I get mine online. It's affordable, and the quality's great.

6. Can you go swimming? (I doubt it but I'm curious)

It's definitely possible. I'm not a big swimmer, and I don't currently use a waterproof glue, but with blue lace tape and a stronger glue at the hairline I'm sure I'd be able to.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
oDD_LotS said:
and I don't currently use a waterproof glue, but with blue lace tape and a stronger glue at the hairline I'm sure I'd be able to.
Could a strong glue ruin a piece with a very fragile base? Like say you are going with an all-mesh base or whichever one is the most fragile but most realistic.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Lots of guys use strong glues (like Ultrahold) on relatively fragile bases (like SFS lace).

MichiganBaldy is one such chap, as I was before I ran out of strong glue/started using weaker glues as a matter of preference. I don't see any problem with it, so long as care is taken when removing the piece.