The 21st Century Cures Act Tells Fda To Consider Patient Concerns

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
I think this could be helpful to patients (including hair loss patients) if patients organized and petitioned the FDA for quick release of a medicine. Of course, I understand that the FDA still has to have some data before approving a treatment but the Cures Act allows some treatments to come to market with less evidence, possibly even skipping phase 3 studies in some cases.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...sed-to-pass-sweeping-law-covering-fda-and-nih

So it seems to me that if hair loss sufferers did some kind of petition campaign and submitted that petition to the FDA then there's a possibility that a breakthrough treatment for hair loss could skip phase 3 until after the treatment is marketed. This is especially relevant in connection with the Kerastem treatment which has already started phase 2.

Here is the language in the above story that interested me:

(1) "This bill, if it were to become law, would even give more prominence to the role of the patient in this process," he says.

(2) McClellan is also happy to see that the legislation gives the FDA more latitude to consider the needs and views of patients when weighing judgments.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see all these Debbie downers but all the news we've been receiving lately has me harder than the gummy bear I dropped under my driver seat last summer

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this could be helpful to patients (including hair loss patients) if patients organized and petitioned the FDA for quick release of a medicine. Of course, I understand that the FDA still has to have some data before approving a treatment but the Cures Act allows some treatments to come to market with less evidence, possibly even skipping phase 3 studies in some cases.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...sed-to-pass-sweeping-law-covering-fda-and-nih

So it seems to me that if hair loss sufferers did some kind of petition campaign and submitted that petition to the FDA then there's a possibility that a breakthrough treatment for hair loss could skip phase 3 until after the treatment is marketed. This is especially relevant in connection with the Kerastem treatment which has already started phase 2.

Here is the language in the above story that interested me:

(1) "This bill, if it were to become law, would even give more prominence to the role of the patient in this process," he says.

(2) McClellan is also happy to see that the legislation gives the FDA more latitude to consider the needs and views of patients when weighing judgments.

So I get that each country needs trials to be done according to their federal regulations, but when you say the FDA needs some data what does that mean exactly? If for example histogen, replicell, or even Tsuji/jahada could get through a safety, and efficacy profile in the US, could they skip phase 3 in the US by providing data that they've gathered as they've been offering the treatments elsewhere?