Testosterone (TRT) hair loss...does it come back?

addovox

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a full, thick head of hair, 36 years old, NO hair loss in my family on either side. I have been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for about 6 months, 1ml per week, pretty standard.
Recently, to my gasp, I noticed some very quick thinning of hair! In front mostly, but also some thinning on top.

I have relatively thick, longer hair so it was hard to notice at first. But one evening, under a light in a bathroom, i freaked out when i noticed i could see my scalp pretty easily, which i had never been able to do before!

I am VERY disturbed by this...i called my doctor and told her i'm stopping TRT right away! The benefits i had gotten just aren't worth losing my hair, especially when i'm fairly confident i won't have age/genetic related hair loss....i'm just screwing myself for no real gain. I haven't tested, but i'm sure my DHT is VERY high.

My question is if anybody here has had a similar experience (no natural hair loss, only from testosterone-related therapy) and if the hair came back once they stopped (if they did)??

Taking some sort of medication to thwart this is sort of out of the question, since i am 99% sure what caused it and i am stopping that ASAP. I don't want any more chemicals in my body.

That said, if there is something (finasteride, dutasteride, monoxodil) that would help slow the loss or REGAIN hair that was lost, i would do that for a certain amount of time until my natural process took over (which i'm hoping it will after i stop the TRT). Is there anything that can be done to promote this natural process from coming back and regrowing hair that i just recently lost??

Thanks all!

MadMartigan

Reaction score
addovox said:
Hey all,

I have a full, thick head of hair, 36 years old, NO hair loss in my family on either side. I have been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for about 6 months, 1ml per week, pretty standard.
Recently, to my gasp, I noticed some very quick thinning of hair! In front mostly, but also some thinning on top.

I have relatively thick, longer hair so it was hard to notice at first. But one evening, under a light in a bathroom, i freaked out when i noticed i could see my scalp pretty easily, which i had never been able to do before!

I am VERY disturbed by this...i called my doctor and told her i'm stopping TRT right away! The benefits i had gotten just aren't worth losing my hair, especially when i'm fairly confident i won't have age/genetic related hair loss....i'm just screwing myself for no real gain. I haven't tested, but i'm sure my DHT is VERY high.

My question is if anybody here has had a similar experience (no natural hair loss, only from testosterone-related therapy) and if the hair came back once they stopped (if they did)??

Taking some sort of medication to thwart this is sort of out of the question, since i am 99% sure what caused it and i am stopping that ASAP. I don't want any more chemicals in my body.

That said, if there is something (finasteride, dutasteride, monoxodil) that would help slow the loss or REGAIN hair that was lost, i would do that for a certain amount of time until my natural process took over (which i'm hoping it will after i stop the TRT). Is there anything that can be done to promote this natural process from coming back and regrowing hair that i just recently lost??

Thanks all!

It does not matter if it's your own testosterone or exogenously administered testosterone.

your hair loss is due to increased DHT levels. As you get more testosterone in the system, so does the reductase to DHT.

To prevent this, make use of a 5?-reductase inhibitor, finasteride or dutasteride. They block the reductase to DHT by an estimated 60-70% (finasteride) and 90-95% (dutasteride).

Whether they can give you regrowth is individual. Some argue that dutasteride is superior in that regard.
Users on various bodybuilding forums claiming at times that they are experiencing regrowth with dutasteride. Some use successfully including dutasteride with TRT

I'll post you some links on the subject:

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/2201 ... -off-cycle

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/anabo ... 63041.html

A comprehensive guide on the subject testosterone and it's effects on your body, how to avoid side effects.
http://thinksteroids.com/interviews/ste ... -scally-1/

addovox

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the response, MadMartigan. Thru my recent research, i have read some promising results using Dutasteride, so i will probably try it. I have a few questions regarding Dutasteride that perhaps you or someone else could answer...

1. Can i just buy generic online?
How much would one purchase? Do you take a pill every day, so 30 pills lasts 30 days?
Can i purchase a generic at my local drug store (to get it faster) ?

2. I have read that with these HRT medications, you have to take them forever to maintain the effects (usually in cases of genetic male pattern baldness). In your opinion (i know you're not doctors, but perhaps experience or knowledge), with no history of male pattern baldness, would i only have to take Dutasteride for X number of days until the hair came back (if it did) and then stop?? My goal is just to try to regain most of the hair i lost (not really too much) and then stop taking any and all substances.

3. I understand it can affect libido negatively. Has anyone had experience with this? Is this permanent, or would the libido effects go away after one stopped taking Dutasteride?

Thanks for the help and i hope the answers to these questions could possibly help others in the future!

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
addovox said:
Hey all,

Thanks all!

Went on TRT in March, and withing a few weeks started losing hair like crazy.
Went to the online hormone boards and all said that if you are prone to male pattern baldness , it will speed it up. Started using rogain like crazy and hair is coming back but not all of it. Also on low dose of finasteride but not sure if I am going to be able to stay on it as i am already getting very tired like I was before I started on T. From everything I read if you lose hair on T you would have lost it anyway at some point. Some guys on T have great luck with finasteride, you will just have to try it. But I recommend starting on a low dose...

addovox

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm almost 100% positive that i'm not prone to male pattern baldness....i've never seen it in anybody in my family, either side and i'm 36 with semi-long hair. I've never seen my scalp before....until now. It's not too bad, just thinning and very wispy hairs in front and on top....i just hope it grows back.

Does anybody have any response or anything info to add to any of my 3 questions?

Thanks!

MadMartigan

Reaction score
addovox said:
Thanks for the response. I'm almost 100% positive that i'm not prone to male pattern baldness....i've never seen it in anybody in my family, either side and i'm 36 with semi-long hair. I've never seen my scalp before....until now. It's not too bad, just thinning and very wispy hairs in front and on top....i just hope it grows back.

Does anybody have any response or anything info to add to any of my 3 questions?

Thanks!

1. We don't live in the same area, I don't have a clue. Don't rush and make sure you buy something that is legit. I think you start at 0,5 mg ED.

2. No, as long as your testosterone levels are higher, you must compensate for the increased level of DHT. You have to take something that blocks the DHT for ever IF you are prone to male pattern baldness.

3. Aside from a few cases libido issues will cease shortly after stopping treatment. If it will not, it can be kickstarted with PCT and dopamine-agonists.

Read these articles. Really good info.

http://thinksteroids.com/interviews/ste ... -scally-1/

http://thinksteroids.com/interviews/ste ... -scally-2/

My advice to you is: buy ketokonazol schampoo and minoxidil. This is cheap and cannot hurt you. If you can afford - buy also a laser helmet.

What dosage is that 1 ml EW? How many mg?

beaner

Reaction score
Taking some sort of medication to thwart this is sort of out of the question..... I don't want any more chemicals in my body.

That said, if there is something (finasteride, dutasteride, monoxodil) that would help slow the loss or REGAIN hair that was lost, i would do that for a certain amount of time....

I'm confused by these contradictory statements.

You say in one sentence that drugs are out of the question and then immediately after state that you would use them.

Which is it?

It seems to be that the TRT kickstarted your male pattern baldness. You should probably inquire with a doctor, but Propecia/finasteride is the only thing that will slow down/stop the progression and regrow a bit.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Men with no hair loss or history of hair loss when injected with testosterone start to go bald. Testosterone contrary to some dumber people that think its just DHT also contributes to hair loss its just weaker then DHT. There is a study on this I think so moral is dont raise any of your androgen levels if you dont want to go bald faster

Jacob

Reaction score
Cells throughout a man’s body are laden with receptor sites that are activated by the hormone testosterone. When testosterone is available to bind to these receptor sites, good things happen such as elevated mood and improved cognition in response to plentiful testosterone being available to the brain.23-25

Be it muscle, bone, vascular, or nerve tissue, testosterone provides critical command signals for your cells to behave in a youthful manner.8,26-33 As testosterone levels diminish, degenerative processes set in.

Of considerable interest is the relationship between testosterone blood levels and cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke. In a revealing new study, researchers identified 2,416 men (aged 69-81 years) who were not on any kind of testosterone- affecting treatment. These men were subjected to a battery of blood tests that included total testosterone and estradiol (estrogen).

The first observation was that men with increasing levels of testosterone had a decreased prevalence of diabetes, hypertension, and body fat mass. Compared to men with the highest testosterone levels, those with low testosterone were twice as likely to have a history of cardiovascular disease. It was also observed that men with the highest testosterone levels were the most physically active.17

This large group of men was followed for an average of 5.1 years. Men in the highest quartile of total testosterone (above 550 ng/dL) had a 30% lower risk of cardiovascular events. Any level of total testosterone below 550 ng/dL resulted in significant increased risk, thus helping to establish a minimal baseline as to where total testosterone should be to guard against heart attack or stroke.

Estradiol levels measured in this group appeared to be mostly in safe ranges and did not impact incidence of cardiovascular events.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/jun2012_Testosterone-Controversy_01.htm

Also... http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateTestosterone4-10.html

J

jps

regrowing hair

first of all im not a doctor, but i had the same experience. except that the hair that fell out was actually 50%transplanted hair for the most part because i was taking injectable testosterone and my dht levels and testosterone levels were maxed out. the Doctor said the levels were great , but not for me when my hair suddenly was thin . transplanted hair shouldnt fall out especially when it came from the side and back, but also alot of regular hair fell out. just cut back the dose to half, you just went over your bodies thresh hold for tolerance to dht. pick up some rogaine and massage it in at least once a day to front and top its like fertilizer and will help reduce scalp dht faster than just reducing the dose. the problem is that you dont need to have super high testosterone and average middle of the road level is ok if you are sensitive to dht. if you want to test all your levels go to lef.org and join you can order your own blood work and they have a male panel that will let you know all the levels, then you can monitor the level and see it drop. but its good to know how high it is. mine went way up to 86 and when i reduced dose from .40 to .25 ml of pfizer test cypionate dht went back to 40 and all little hairs started sprouting and are growing again. top and front. i was really freaked out also. there is also a product called kevis which helps but its expensive and it made with niacin . a small amount along with rogaine will speed up and stimulate folicles.you need to know all the levels. my estradiol is down to 20 and testosterone free and total 70% of the high range. stay away from topical testosterone it can cause estradiol to become high in alot of guys because of its aromatization to estrogen through the skin. it screwed me up estrogen was 150 for a couple months. i felt really bad. had to find an intelligent doctor. . at bodylogic.com. hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator: