Temples... no man's land?

circusrat

Reaction score
So I haven't posted or been to this sight much in the last 5 months. I'm on about month 8 of the big three.

I'd just like to make a thread asking if anyone has actually had 'real' results on their temples. My problem started with the temples, so I immediately jumped on all 3 to catch it quickly, or so i thought. I still don't have balding anywhere else on my head, except for possibly a slight thinning in the crown, but its hard to tell.

So in 8 months of popping pills, dumping minoxidil on both temples religiously, and using nizoral as directed; I have to say I don't think I've made a dent. In fact, its gotten worse. My temples continue to recede, worse on the left side... it's starting to look pretty bad now.

I've come to the conclusion that the claims these drugs only work on the traditional bald spot are true. I was hoping I could grow back my temples but I almost don't think balding of the temples works the same way as balding in the rest of your head. You can see minoxidil TRYING its hardest. Small hairs (pigmented) grow over both temples but refuse to do anything more than grow a centimeter at the most. And only a few actually make it that far.

I'm just kind of irked. I used to have such a baby face look about me and now the hairloss is making me look much older and ... probably less attractive. yar, thoughts?

G

I'm in the same boat and its been almost a year.

I can only suggest bumping up to Xandrox 15.

circusrat

Reaction score
^^

yea, I remember the last thread I posted we had a discussion about how our hairloss was similar. No progress for you either, eh?

The Gardener

Reaction score
No, not much progress on the temples in terms of gross real estate reclaimed. However, even though I've maybe gained a half inch or so in the upper temple area, the growth has kind of 'rounded off' what used to be sharp angles and cosmetically looks a lot better.

Before treatment, I was starting to thin in the CENTER forehead area, BETWEEN the bald temples, which is what shocked me into starting a regimen. The good news is that the thinning in this area has been completely reversed, and this center forehead area has actually thickened considerably. The shafts are thicker, much more stylable, which has been a tremendous improvement over the very bad situation I was heading towards.

G

circusrat said:
^^

yea, I remember the last thread I posted we had a discussion about how our hairloss was similar. No progress for you either, eh?

No, my right temple is pretty bad now and my left has got a bit worse too.

I'm not gonna be some bell-end that starts knocking propecia or minoxidil, as I know it works wonders for most, but I can definitely say that my hairline and temples are significantly worse than baseline.

circusrat

Reaction score
yep, same here.

gotten worse. Like I said, I think temples are just gonna go no matter what you do.

Anyway, anyone use that vive, regenium XY stuff I see commercials for... any help?

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, my temples are regrowing quite nicely. I've got pictures under the Success Stories forum if you want to see how well. I guess I happen to be one of the lucky ones.

Temple growth started out slow with very small and thin vellus hairs that eventually grew into thick terminal hairs. Looking at old pictures, it looked like someone took a circular cookie cutter and used it on my temples. But now the regrowth continues to this day as I notice more and more hairs growing there.

However, I am using Minoxidil 5%, Tricomin, Nizoral, and Proscar. No sides on Proscar at all.

fatman

Reaction score
nooc said:
Well, my temples are regrowing quite nicely. I've got pictures under the Success Stories forum if you want to see how well. I guess I happen to be one of the lucky ones.

Temple growth started out slow with very small and thin vellus hairs that eventually grew into thick terminal hairs. Looking at old pictures, it looked like someone took a circular cookie cutter and used it on my temples. But now the regrowth continues to this day as I notice more and more hairs growing there.

However, I am using Minoxidil 5%, Tricomin, Nizoral, and Proscar. No sides on Proscar at all.

where do i find the success stories? can you link me, and tell me which one you are. thanks

G

The Gardener said:
No, not much progress on the temples in terms of gross real estate reclaimed. However, even though I've maybe gained a half inch or so in the upper temple area, the growth has kind of 'rounded off' what used to be sharp angles and cosmetically looks a lot better.

Before treatment, I was starting to thin in the CENTER forehead area, BETWEEN the bald temples, which is what shocked me into starting a regimen. The good news is that the thinning in this area has been completely reversed, and this center forehead area has actually thickened considerably. The shafts are thicker, much more stylable, which has been a tremendous improvement over the very bad situation I was heading towards.

Bold bits highlighted.

Yes, that is exactly why I started a regimen. Recession is not so bad; it's acceptable. However 'islanding' as I called it, when I had an 'island' of hair in the front seperated from theback of my hair was unacceptable to me! That's why I started my regimen[/b]

arjun17

Reaction score
About temples.....

Hi everyone,
While we're on the subject of temples, I remember reading a bit about miniaturization (thinning and shortening of hairs) on one famous hairloss product site (Xandrox maybe, I can't recall):

"Miniaturization of hairs is a gradual process, requiring time as well as DHT and a genetic predisposition to balding to manifest itself. The hairs gradually become thinner , with shorter and shorter growth phases, until only vellus-like growth remains. But sometimes, miniaturization can be sudden and dramatic, turning terminal hair into vellus hair in just one cycle. THIS PHENOMENON EXPLAINS THE RECESSION OF THE HAIRLINE AND TEMPLES."

This makes sense to me, as the temples go from fully haired to bald very quickly w/o passing thru the thinning, semi-bald stage in most men. including most non-balding men (which usually stabilizes around a NW2). Even most frontal diffuse thinners will have a small amount of recession in addition to their thinning. The crown, on the other hand, always thins out before it goes slick bald. This would explain why its easier to restore the crown than the temples.
What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Cheers,
Arjun