Teeharrybloggins's Story - (61,Tremor medications/hairloss)

teeharrybloggins

Reaction score
I'm a first-time poster here. I'm a 61 year old female and have a condition called Essential Tremor (aka Benign Essential Familial Tremor). I have taken Inderal (Propranolol) for over 20 years to help control very strong hand tremors. Inderal has ceased to be adequate to do this job and my doctor added Mysoline (Primidone) to my meds regimen. Within the first couple of weeks I noticed hair was falling out all over the place (not in clumps but in a general, all-over way). My hair is very very short and my head shows through most unattractively. The medical community has not been helpful in finding a solution to my hair loss problem. I did my own research online and found several well respected Medical institutions that named hair loss as a possible side effect of Primidone (Mysoline). Has anyone out there had this experience with Primidone? Or with Propranalol? Or with the combination of these two meds?

I am especially interested to hear from Essential Tremor patients who might be able to identify with my circumstance. Any ideas? It seems to me that we're on our own out here. Stopping meds is out of the question as without them, I am literally unable to use my hands. It's kind of hard to imagine how immobilizing this condition, referred to as "ET" by those of us who have it. There are degrees to which ET affects a person's life, and it generally gets worse as we age. I am at my wits end trying to find solutions to my ET symptoms while trying to hang onto my hair! It's going going almost gone. Help!

Signed: teeharrybloggins (although I can't imagine how THAT tag came to mind!)