Taking half of 1mg propecia question

DesertFox

Reaction score
ok so i was taking 1mg of propecia and my libido died after one month and i had aches in my testicles. i have been taking .5mg of propecia for 3 days and the testicle ache is gone and my libido is not as usual but it isnt dead like it used to be.

my question is will .5mg be enough to be effective ? should i go back to 1mg?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
It sounds scary, but I would wait out the side effects. They will likely disappear if you give them a few more days. This happened to me, and the side effects went away in about a week. If they don't go away, you can always cut the dose in half.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Stay at 1mg, that is, unless your Doctor says otherwise.

If you look around, you'll see dozens of threads here that talk about how effective .5mg is compared to full dose. I think you'll see good results :)

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
From the Propecia 5 year clinical trial
"These sexual side effects went away in all men who discontinued therapy because of them and also disappeared in most (56 percent men who chose to continue taking Propecia through the fifth year of the study. By the end of the fifth year, the incidence of those side effects was less than or equal to 0.3 percent in men who continued treatment with Propecia vs. men on placebo."

So you have a 50/50 change of sticking with the 1mg and the sides going away and by 5 years be at less than 1%. Not very good number if you balls hurt.

Further more reading this info its pretty clear that less than 1mg is pretty effective.

"Early dose ranging studies showed that much smaller dosages, such as 0.5 mg and even less, inhibited DHT on average almost as well as much higher dosages, such as 5 mg. One 6-month study comparing a placebo group, which lost hair, to users taking differing dosages of finasteride found that 0.2 mg of finasteride increased hair counts about 81% as much as 1 mg when compared to the placebo.

Similarly, 1 mg increased hair counts 82% as much as a full 5 mg compared to placebo. The tiny 0.2 mg dosage did about 66% as well at regrowth and retention as 5 mg. Accordingly, the 1 mg dosage was probably a compromise designed to be high enough to pick up those who may not respond as well to the lower dosages, but low enough to minimize side effects.

Many of those who take less than 1 mg opt for either 0.5 mg or 0.625 mg (1/8th of a Proscar tablet). Some people also skip days periodically based on the fact that finasteride suppresses DHT for up to several days and also on the old pharmacological rationale that it may help preclude any possible tendencies toward tolerance, which sometimes happens with continuous long-term use of medications"

grove12345

Reaction score
hmm i was wondering which is better. .5mg a day or 1mg EOD?

Some people will say the same, but also some people believe all you got to do is pop a 5mg proscar on monday and not worry for a week. I dont think that works.

Plus i believe cutting a pill in half can lead to .7 one day and .3 the next.

I just started propecia, been on internet finasteride for a while. Im getting major libido sides.

Maybe wait another week or 2 on 1mg and see what happens.

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
grove12345 said:
hmm i was wondering which is better. .5mg a day or 1mg EOD?

Some people will say the same, but also some people believe all you got to do is pop a 5mg proscar on monday and not worry for a week. I dont think that works.

Plus i believe cutting a pill in half can lead to .7 one day and .3 the next.

I just started propecia, been on internet finasteride for a while. Im getting major libido sides.

Maybe wait another week or 2 on 1mg and see what happens.

If you were using internet finasteride and not using Propecia thats a good sign you were taking either a fake or a much lowered dosage tables. Some over seas pharmacy will only put enough of the active ingredient in the table to pass tests. The test dont check how much but only the presence of the active ingredient.

Now that you on the real thing you taking that is the actual prescribed amount.
Propecia is a manufactured my Merck who use sophisticated processing to maufacure there pills. The finastiried is evenly distributed in the pill. So an even cut will provide very close results.

Propeica is safe to divide as you will take both half's with in a 24hour window of each other. Proscar or generics are a bit more subjective to imbalances due to the long duration they last (ie 4-8 days depending on you dosage) and the many uneven cuts that can be performed.

On the bright side for Proscar users is the patent on Propecia exp in a couple years so US generics will pop up and reduce the need for Proscar/generics.

Also one last bit of advice Kaiser Pharmacutials actually encourages its patents to split pills but only if the dosage is double what you are to take. Kaiser actually recommended me to take Propecia and split the pill as my derm informed me that .5mg is all that is needed. I already has a prescription for proscar from an outside derm so I do have that currently. But as soon as it runs out I'll be using the Propecia I picked up. I used the Propecia promotion $260 off a year plus the discount from the Kaiser pharmacy it only cost me $340 or about $14 a mont. It doesn't exp till 6/12 so im good for the next two years. It was

grove12345

Reaction score
ya i got the promo packet too. Used Drugstore.com. $60 off first 3 months, hope they can come through in the end with the other $200 discount when i get the last 3 months.

I was on finpecia from inhouse for 8 months and ya it was working my hair got thicker. But starting like 5 months ago is started my hair started falling out alot. And for all i know it can be me or the drugs. But i was tired of second guessing, i want the real thing. So propecia is the way to go. Not to bad if you split it. And skip like 1 day a week.

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
I would stick with the name band.

Personally I would advice from the EOD method as this hasn't really been proven to work or be safe long run. EOD could cause a shock to your system depending on how sensitive your body is to its hormonal imbalances.

I would stick with everyday treatment. Personally I and probably most Propecia users only take .5mg a day.

Hell even my doctors told me 1mg was over kill and went over several published trails with me to prove the fact.

You an try .5mg a day and after a month try going to 1mg if thats the dosage you desire. Most people have reported little to no sides when they worked there way up vs taking the 1mg as before.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
adolobe said:
EOD could cause a shock to your system depending on how sensitive your body is to its hormonal imbalances.

Nah, I don't think every other day would cause much of a "shock" to your system. Haven't you seen that graph where men took various single doses of finasteride, and their serum DHT levels were monitored for the full week afterwards? It takes 1-2 weeks for serum DHT levels to get back to normal, after the last dose of finasteride. Taking it every other day certainly wouldn't be a "shock".

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
adolobe said:
EOD could cause a shock to your system depending on how sensitive your body is to its hormonal imbalances.

Nah, I don't think every other day would cause much of a "shock" to your system. Haven't you seen that graph where men took various single doses of finasteride, and their serum DHT levels were monitored for the full week afterwards? It takes 1-2 weeks for serum DHT levels to get back to normal, after the last dose of finasteride. Taking it every other day certainly wouldn't be a "shock".

Ive seen the graphs and all supporting data from all the major clinical trials. Ive also seen that on single dosages .2mg up to 5 mg the daily suppression of serum DHT wold very bases of that individual days dosage. This variation for day to day is what I would consider a hazard over long term. Its when peoples levels become unbalanced that they experience changes in the mood behavior and health. Thats why is prescribed the way it is same dosage at somewhat same consistent time each day.

Im actually a QA Lab Manager here in SD and work with dozens of clinical trials for various pharmaceuticals each year. Plus I have the Phd in Pharmaceutical Sciences. So I speak with realistic words of caution.

Im not saying its going to kill you or anything just words of caution as no one can truly speak of the chemical sensitivity of another person with out there full medical records and blood test.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
adolobe said:
Ive also seen that on single dosages .2mg up to 5 mg the daily suppression of serum DHT wold very bases of that individual days dosage.

I don''t understand what you mean.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What does it matter if its taken every 24 hours or every 48 hours? The body doesn't know what time it is.

The only thing that matters is how much DHT is suppressed and for how long. And the studies show that DHT barely rises at all after 2 days of a single dose of finasteride.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
adolobe said:
Ive also seen that on single dosages .2mg up to 5 mg the daily suppression of serum DHT wold very bases of that individual days dosage.

I don''t understand what you mean.

After further examination, I think he was trying to say: "I've also seen that on a single dosage of .2mg up to 5mg, the daily suppression of serum DHT would vary based on that individual days dosage."