T-Sal followed by Nizoral

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Right I'm doing this like a few others here - T Sal for 3-4 mins followed by Nizoral for 5-10 mins.

Only thing is that after the first application of T-Sal, when I put on Nizoral, after a couple of minutes I start to feel a bit nauseas. This never used to happed when I used nizoral by itself - even when I used to leave it on my scalp for 10+ mins.

The T-Sal obviously enhances the absorbtion of ketoconazole which is why I'm beginning to experience side-effects but my main concern is the risk of liver problems which could become an issue if I continue to use this one-two pronged approach for an indefinite amount of time.

I'm probably being a complete hypochondriac but has anyone else experienced this kind of side effect?

Cheers guys.

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
to add on to the general questions:
I have read on here that nizoral can damage your liver after prolonged use. Can someone define "prolonged use" and does this include nizoral 1% or just 2%? My family has a history of liver problems and I don't want to start going down that road because of the shampoo I use. Thanks.

Axon

Reaction score
I believe the potential liver damage side is releated to oral injestion of ketoconazole, not the topical use of it in a shampoo.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Topical Ketoconazole:

Topical ketoconazole does not have significant systemic absorption. Repeated topical application of ketoconazole 2% shampoo, however, will lead to absorption of the drug into hair keratin. Small amounts of intravaginal ketoconazole are absorbed systemically. Peak plasma concentrations in women receiving ketoconazole as a 400 mg vaginal suppository ranged from 0â€â€￾20.7 ng/mL.

http://www.jcl.healthinkonline.com/modu ... toconazole

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
I use nizoral three times a week, and in-between the nizoral I alternate using Vive for Men: Thickening and some Aussie thickening shampoo.

1)Would using T-Sal before I use nizoral be a good idea to help the absorbtion of the ketc-whatever?

2)Should I be using a shampoo to strengthen my hair instead of just thickening shampoos?

Thanks again.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Why don't you just use Nizoral and T-Sal together at the same time? i have been doing that over the last 6 weeks and it lathers up so much better... smell okay too

Worried: your shampoo routine looks fine cherpa.