Switching over to dutasteride or use together with finasteride?

Bumblebee

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been on finasteride (Propecia 1mg) since six years back (mid 20's of age now). Had wonderful responce with regrowth. Lately I've felt that I've slowly started to lose more hair again. The front looks rather thin compared to before, but I'm still at a better stage compared to when just before I got on finasteride. No major side effects. Seems like I actually posted here from when I just got on finasteride about ED, but seems like it was just nocebo as it went away after I stopped thinking about it. The only issue I have now is that my hairloss is affecting my mentally again...

I got my derm to prescribe me dutasteride (Avodart). It's the first time he's precribed it for someone. The question is how I should transition over to dutasteride, or if I should use it in conjuction with finasteride. I'm very scared about losing more hair, but at the same time I don't want any sides from dutasteride (ED, weight gain or any cognitive side effects, especially considering that I don't want my studies to be affected).

By "in conjuction", I don't mean taking both dutasteride and finasteride together every day, but rather going on dutasteride MWF and continuing taking finasteride the other days. Or would you recommend that I'd slowly go over completely to dutasteride (adding one more dutasteride pill every other week until I've completely transitioned to dutasteride)? I've read a bit and it feels like the first method might work well? If I go with the first method, should I still taper off and add one dutasteride every week and then go MWF after a month (+ finasteride the other days of the week)? What do you guys think? Very worried that inhibiting 5ar1 might be bad for my cognitive performance. Plus I've always had perfect skin and heard that 5ar1 could affect it, so I'd rather not want my skin go get affected either.

I'm thinking about adding Minoxidil too, but I'll do that at a later stage as I don't want to start two new regimens at the same time. Want to know how dutasteride affects me before adding minoxidil.

Also, do you think I might react well to dutasteride, especially considering how well finasteride worked for me (good regrowth)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: