switching Minoxidil brands

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello--

I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing some side effects from Dr Lee's 5% quick drying minoxidil. What sucks, though, is that the stuff was really working for me. My hair looked a lot better and considering how much I shed when I went off the stuff for a couple of weeks, I think I even had some regrowth.

So here's my question: is it possible that I could switch to another brand of minoxidil or maybe to the 2% and NOT suffer from side effects? I was thinking maybe of trying the 2% foam, because I first tried the regular 2% Rogaine and found the stuff to be way too greasy and messy. Is it possible that if I used the 2% foam I wouldn't suffer from the side effects?

What do you guys think? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

beaner

Reaction score
They don't manufacture a 2% foam. What side effects were you getting?

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
my sides have been a weird kind of chest pain, mainly when i take a deep breath.

i know it sounds like something that must just be in my head, but i really doubt it. for one, i'm not the type of person who gets anxious when taking medication. secondly, when i went off Minoxidil (and spironolactone) for two weeks, the pains went away. then when my hair started falling out and i decided to give minoxidil another shot, the chest pains came back after three or four days of using the stuff.

i'm not sure what to do. i don't understand why these side effects would suddenly happen now -- i've been using Minoxidil and spironolactone since last October. why wouldn't it have happened earlier? i've seen a doctor, too, who thought it was UNLIKELY that minoxidil is causing the chest pains, but that it is possible.

i dunno. if anyone has any advice, i'd love to hear it.