switched from rogaine to propecia

springs

Reaction score
I started using rogaine 5% on my temples and used it for about 1 year. it seemed to maintain even though hair was still falling out...

I stopped using rogaine around december.
I started using propecia in feb
so I'm at 3-4 month mark now

it seems my hair is falling out in the shape of a big Y.

and lately it seems to be falling out like crazy. I'm in a complete panic now..its very visable and dont leave the house without a hat.
50-100 hairs a day it seems

am I just hitting the propecia hump??? do I need the rogaine? I couldnt stand it...itching and flaking was nuts .....looked like i walked in from a snow storm everywhere I went

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a classical shed. If you just drop minoxidil, you will lose the hairs you regained with it, they say within exactly the 3 or 4 months you have gone through. I would say tough it out. Even if you go back on minoxidil, I don't think it'll cure your shed. You'll still have a lag before it starts kicking in. Although if you do decide you can't live without it, you may want to add some nizoral or copper peptide treatment which are both supposed to improve scalp health.

BugScreen1

Reaction score
I've had the exact same experience. I was on Rogaine for a year and 3 months, then quit. I casually started because I thought it looked like I was receding very slightly. The Rogaine must have been working because it didn't seem to progress during this time. I eventually quit because the Rogaine was making my scalp even itchier than it was normally....

Anyways, right around the 2nd month after I dropped Minoxidil, I started taking Propecia (around Feb). Since then my temples have become increasingly thin, and I've been very self-concious of my hairline. Now, unlike when I started taking Rogaine, I believe my hairloss is visible.

I'm hopeful that the Propecia is going through a shed, but I have my doubts. Hopefully at least it stops the male pattern baldness in its tracks.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Cowboy

Reaction score
It can be a pain in the *** to apply minoxidil two times a day...no one likes the way it makes their hair feel...and honestly, with this type of weather, how can anyone go 4 hours without sweating.

I've toned down my dosage to one time a day, after a shower before I go to bed. This way, I'm not worrying about sweating when I'm outside, or the way it makes my hair feel.

springs

Reaction score
well...it feels like no improvement...im about month 5 right now.

hair has gotten a bit thinner. front seems like it is really going.

However, I havent cut my hair in quite some time. Maybe the longest it has ever been. Getting it cut sometime this week. Maybe it wont look so bad.

Still seeing a larger number than I'm comfortable with falling out daily.

maybe ill start seeing some regrowth in the next few months??

I'm considering buzzing it REAL short just so its out of mind for a few months.