sweat effect on hair

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
i started doing cardio work-outs again about two months ago. I've noticed my hair has started to look pretty crap ever since. it must be the intense perspiration as on my weeks off my hair looks ok again. what i wanted to ask is if profuse sweating is bad for your hair, and if there is anything that can be used on the hair just before working out to minimise the problem. i don't like using conditioners as it leaves my hair looking limp.

vjykmr89

Reaction score
Sweat is salty, and salt is drying but fortunately you only sweat at the scalp which is the oiliest part of your head. The oil will protect the hair at the roots, but after a few days of workouts you will want to wash your hair because of the build up of sweat, oil, and hair product.so it effects on hair

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply! yeah i totally agree! Im not sure if this is true, but ever since i been on these hair treatments i sweat from my head much more than i use to - eg when eating spicy foods, working out and even when i get anxious! or may be i just notice it more now that Im thinning. but i would definitely agree that scalp sweating is mashing up my hair condition- i have totally cut down my work outs now- i was even shedding more hair. hopefully ive stabilized again!

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I recently started working out like a maniac because I needed to lose weight fast and my hairloss worsened quite noticeably. I am convinced that too much exercise can be bad for your hair but I don't have any studies to back it up.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding hair can also be a sign of hair growth!

Sabbah

Reaction score
Actually, the less I hit the gym, the more I shed. Working out has helped me a bit with my hair loss although I try not to take much protein supplements and obviously stay the hell away from steroids.

hamiod

Reaction score
Noo i don't think so that sweating can cause hair loss.. Even i am listening about it first time.. No doubt sweat is always salty but not such as great which effect hairs health

Gargi

Reaction score
Sweat contains lactic acid, which breaks down the outer layers of hair causing gradual miniaturization of the hair follicles. The damage caused by the acid becomes evident at first when dry, brittle, weak hair is observed. sweat may cause inflammation, which is strongly believed to have a direct impact on hair growth, due to the restriction of blood supply to the hair .
If you have noticed a correlation between sweat on your temples or elsewhere on your scalp and hair loss in a similar pattern, you should firstly take hygiene steps wash your scalp after working out, after sweating during the day, etc. Next you should look to find the underlying cause of your excessive sweating as this underlying cause may be the true cause of your hair loss not the sweat itself.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sweat is increased by obesity, so if sweat causes hair loss, then obesity causes hair loss.

But obesity decreases testosterone, which decreases dihidrotestosterone, so obesity decreases hair loss.

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO ?!?!?!?!?!?!

menbram

Reaction score
Itchy

Sweat makes my hair itchy and tingly but dont know if the shedding is getting worse of it.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yup sweat causes hairloss. Along with:

Masturbating. Wearing hats. sleeping late. Eating bad. Eating TOO good. Sweating. Washing too much. Washing too little. Breathing.

Stop doing all 9 of those things and you will get back all your hair.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you guys run and your head starts to get sweaty does it sort of tingle and prick? Ive often thought it was just the blood rushing but this thread makes me wonder about it.

nidhi

Reaction score
According to Doctor, it’s possible that lactic acid may cause hair loss even in people who don’t suffer from excessive sweating, but if you are someone who experiences above average persperation it’s possible that sweat has had an impact on your hair.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
According to Doctor, it’s possible that lactic acid may cause hair loss even in people who don’t suffer from excessive sweating, but if you are someone who experiences above average persperation it’s possible that sweat has had an impact on your hair.
I've never heard of this; a link to a study would be greatly appreciated.