Success stories with generic finasteride? Help!

mmontag89

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to HairLossTalk.com, just started a minoxidil (Kirkland 5% foam) regimen a month ago on frontal area. I think I'm ready for finasteride as well, but I'm not positive I can easily obtain a prescription. I've seen some incredible success stories on these forums, but have noticed a majority of people's regimens (of the ones that specify) name Propecia and Proscar, which leads me to assume the prescribed medications work well.

My question is for those who have tried a generic finasteride pill - is this a safe route to choose? If so, what brands and retailers did you use? Do you see the same results other users are posting w/ name brand Propecia and Proscar?

Responses are extremely helpful and appreciated as I try to make this decision; however, please do not include warnings about finasteride sides in general. I have investigated the sides, and have accepted the associated risk. My only question is the difference in results between generic and name-brand finasteride.

Thanks guys!

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand, there is no difference between the generic and branded versions of finasteride, in terms of the how the drug works etc - I have spent time researching any difference myself. The only difference is that the generic version tends to come in 5mg, whilst the branded version (Propecia) comes in 1mg tablets.

I'm from the UK and have a doctors prescription, which allows me to order generic finasteride from Boots online (I think it's like £9 for 28 tablets or something - I can check if you're from the UK and let you know). I then split the tablet into fourths which gives me 1.25 per dose.

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing as CliffLee and having some great results with generic finasteride (a quarter of 5 mg pill every day) & min :)
You can check my topic in Success Stories ^_^

mmontag89

Reaction score
Headless, would you mind sharing where you ordered from? Just looking for a reputable place...

CharlieHunter

My Regimen
Reaction score
The drug itself is finasteride. Propecia is the brand name of a 1mg finasteride pill. Proscar is the brand name of a 5mg finasteride pill. Getting generics just means you're getting finasteride from some random pharmaceutical lab instead of the company that originally had a patent on the drug. You can get generic 1mg or 5mg pills. The quality of generics should be just as good and usually cost significantly less. I'm currently cutting up generic 5mg pills.
fins5.png

Last edited: