Subcutaneous Blood Flow In Early Male Pattern Balding

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very dated...but has the information been superseded by anything else proving it wrong?

http://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12721603

SBF is 2.6x lower in Androgenetic Alopecia than controls. There is still plenty of blood flow in Androgenetic Alopecia but it is lower.
The scalp in non-balding has SBF of 10x other sites on the body.

" A high SBF might explain the relatively short duration of topically applied minoxidil"

NeverBaldEver

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who knows if it is the reason or the result?
It seems I have read some research report that the lower blood flow is the result, not the cause of the initial miniaturization. However, it aggravates the further miniaturization of the follicles.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed
Who knows if it is the reason or the result?
It seems I have read some research report that the lower blood flow is the result, not the cause of the initial miniaturization. However, it aggravates the further miniaturization of the follicles.

Agreed that is the 64K question. Does SBF drive Androgenetic Alopecia or is it just a consequence of Androgenetic Alopecia??

There are some BP meds that have grown some hair over the years which may have changed SBF for the better but we DONT KNOW if the drug had a direct effect on the hair follicle first.

I posted it somewhere else tho about the hair transplant docs who said if you transplant hair from the head to the leg for example, those hair become thinner presumably from reduced SBF. Remember, SBF even in Androgenetic Alopecia is still higher than anywhere on the body. So lower SBF had a detrimental effect on the transplant example.

Areas of perpherial artery disease are often very sparse covered with hair.