Study: Premature Senescenece of Balding Dermal Papillae

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
J Invest Dermatol. 2007 Nov 8; [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read
Premature Senescence of Balding Dermal Papilla Cells In Vitro Is Associated with p16(INK4a) Expression.
Bahta AW, Farjo N, Farjo B, Philpott MP.

1Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and The London, Queen Mary's School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary College, London, UK.

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), a hereditary disorder that involves the progressive thinning of hair in a defined pattern, is driven by androgens. The hair follicle dermal papilla (DP) expresses androgen receptors (AR) and plays an important role in the control of normal hair growth. In Androgenetic Alopecia, it has been proposed that the inhibitory actions of androgens are mediated via the DP although the molecular nature of these interactions is poorly understood. To investigate mechanisms of Androgenetic Alopecia, we cultured DP cells (DPC) from balding and non-balding scalp and confirmed previous reports that balding DPC grow slower in vitro than non-balding DPC. Loss of proliferative capacity of balding DPC was associated with changes in cell morphology, expression of senescence-associated beta-galactosidase, as well as decreased expression of proliferating cell nuclear antigen and Bmi-1; upregulation of p16(INK4a)/pRb and nuclear expression of markers of oxidative stress and DNA damage including heat shock protein-27, super oxide dismutase catalase, ataxia-telangiectasia-mutated kinase (ATM), and ATM- and Rad3-related protein. Premature senescence of balding DPC in vitro in association with expression of p16(INK4a)/pRB suggests that balding DPC are sensitive to environmental stress and identifies alternative pathways that could lead to novel therapeutic strategies for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia.Journal of Investigative Dermatology advance online publication, 8 November 2007; doi:10.1038/sj.jid.5701147.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Gonna read this tomorrow and get back to you but it seems to show that balding dermal papillae show increased signs of oxidative stress and DNA damage and are more vulnerable to environmental stress. I think the link between ROS and male pattern baldness may be getting a bit more steam behind it.
hh

powersam

Reaction score
a french study done around 7 years ago came to exactly the same conclusion.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:

Really? Do you have a reference? (Not trying to be smart....would love to see this)
I believe we will see another study coming out soon hopefully looking at the link between DHT ROS and TGF-Beta that should be even more interesting.
hh

michael barry

Reaction score
Stephen Foote had a study like this once whereby DP cells were suspended somehow (so no contact inhibition of any kind could take place) and they showed oxidative stress at lower levels of an intoduced oxide into this "suspended" medium. Foote seemed to believe this supported his contact inhibition theory in some way, but I just interpreted it as temporal hairs are usually weaker than hairs from the donor hair and even less resistance to any kind of stress at all, hence why they go first usually.

I wish I had the link, I think he posted it at hairloss-reversible, but it might have been somewhere here. Its been a while. Foote thought it very interesting, and I must admit I did too.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Foote seemed to believe this supported his contact inhibition theory in some way...

He thinks that EVERYTHING supports his theory, no matter how much of a stretch of the imagination it requires to conclude that.

powersam

Reaction score
harold said:
powersam said:

Really? Do you have a reference? (Not trying to be smart....would love to see this)
I believe we will see another study coming out soon hopefully looking at the link between DHT ROS and TGF-Beta that should be even more interesting.
hh

didn't bookmark it sadly, am trying to find it again but not having much luck. the long and short of it was that male pattern baldness scalp skin was very thin due to premature ageing caused by oxidative processes. wish i could find it.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
didn't bookmark it sadly, am trying to find it again but not having much luck. the long and short of it was that male pattern baldness scalp skin was very thin due to premature ageing caused by oxidative processes. wish i could find it.

would be awesome if you could. Am very interested in this and I have to confess a little intrigued (even though it seems like one of those "rub urine on your scalp" fads) by the notion of "needling" and its supposed stimulation of new follicle growth though I really havent looked at it at seriously yet (from what I recall the sort of wounds that promoted new follicle growth were necessarily pretty damn big in terms of surface area).
I guess one of the questions coming from skimming that is - is the scalp thinned in male pattern baldness? I was uder the impression that fibrosis had led to increased collagen deposition and thus there was a thicker/tougher layer of skin, but would like more info on the scalp skin thinning/thickening along with anything on oxidative stress of course.
hh