Study: Plucking Hairs Will Regenerate New Follicles

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your read carefully, you will notice that a minimum of 200 hairs have to be plucked in order to induce regrowth in neighbor follicles. These 200 hairs have to be very close: in an area with a 5 mm diameter (or a fifth of an inch). Otherwise, no extra regrowth.
Yes, we are talking about mice, because no human (let alone a thinning male) has 200 hairs in an area of 5mm as diamater.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point Roberto.
In the cited study:
" plucking fewer than 50 refractory telogen hairs did not induce
hair regeneration, while plucking more than 200 hairs did"

And more different when we use a mouse hair model

According this full paper, Dermal papilla cell number specifies hair size, shape and

cycling and its reduction causes follicular decline.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23487317

The pelage of the mouse is composed of four hair types; guard, awl,

auchene and zigzag. ….

The follicles that make guard hairs

form first in embryogenesis and normally continue to make guard

hairs throughout the life of the animal. However, the follicles that

make awls, auchenes and zigzags can make different hair types in

successive hair cycles

BTW it is interesting to review studies regarding number of new hair regrowths in animals

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont buy it. Its on mice? I wouldnt bother lots of things dont jump from mice to human. I dont know why we even still study stuff on them except they are cheap and easy to get. Its a terrible model

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
It's already been discussed, search for "quorum sensing" on this forum.

Conclusion was: mice study + no credible science backing it up = garbage.

tress_dreams

Reaction score
This study was not in any way at all an attempt at treating alopecia. Follicles were chosen because measuring the outcome was stupid easy. They just need to count the hair. It was all just a novel way of demonstrating organ-level quorum sensing happens, works, and is localized (diameter impacted outcome greatly). Quorum sensing, in something beyond the usual simple bacteria. Perhaps useful in other organs and worth studying in those applications further.

They only briefly theorize on the underlying mechanism of action:

...they locally induce regeneration through the release of substances such as Tnf-a

paraphrasing they mean: "plucking hairs indirectly caused some barely understood sh*t to happen. We don't f*****g care because we demonstrated organ-level quorum sensing..which is cool and helpful."

If only they did care though. Determining the mechanism of action that caused the 5x regrowth could lead to some interesting approaches to inducing a similar reaction; where plucking is not possible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tress_dreams

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experimented with increasing FUE yield in a healthy and dense donor area through this approach. Maybe combine similarly small diameter, large follicle count plucking with stem cell treatments in the donor area. Wait for - hopefully denser - regrowth before proceeding with the normal FUE.

It would have to be an appropriately healthy donor area in order to reach quorum - if it works at all. *I need to get a life*