Study - Exercise and Testosterone Levels

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/10/4/230

This study indicates that exercise does not increase baseline testosterone levels. However, what is interesting is that the high-fit groups had significantly higher baseline testosterone levels.

It is my guess that the high-fit guys are fit because they exercise alot. Thus high levels of exercise could lead to increased testosterone levels over time.

Why did this not show up in the study?
1. Perhaps the study was too short to capture the raise in testosterone levels
2. Perhaps the high-fit guys had reached a testosterone peak and the low-fit guys required more exercise before they experienced an increase in baseline testosterone

These are just theories. However, as I have said in a number of posts, I believe that excess exercise and in particular weights training will increase testosterone levels over time. Of course this may or may not lead to increased levels of DHT.

Please note when I say high levels of exercise I am talking about 2-3 hours of intense training every day. eg. Running, dropsets etc

Therefore, I believe that exercise is very important in moderation. Personally I have dropped my gym sessions back from 2-3hours every day to 1-2hours 3-4 times a week. This has also coincided with decent hair regrowth. As a result I am still pretty fit, but I feel that I may be maintaining more balanced\normal testosterone levels for my body.

Everyone’s bodies react differently to exercise, so some people may identify with this theory and others may not.

G

Testosterone levels actually lower in some people after exercise, but if they go up, it's only a temporary increase that goes back to baseline within a couple of hours. So unless you are working out 10 hours a day every day I don't really think you have anything to worry about.

You can resume masturbating as well.

michael barry

Reaction score
Guys,

From what Ive read over the years, swimming and jogging for distance lower testosterone levels.

Pumping iron extremely hard (heavy lifting especially) increase testosterone levels, but they will decline in hours of less activity.

Working out HARD for over forty five minutes gets cortisol released, and thats the stress hormone. Its pretty much bad for you, so you dont want that.

Just an opinon....................using finasteride and nizoral every third or ever other day would be seemingly as good as dutasteride.................with much less incidence of side effects. Or finasteride and topical green tea..................something to ponder.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Just an opinon....................using finasteride and nizoral every third or ever other day would be seemingly as good as dutasteride.................with much less incidence of side effects. Or finasteride and topical green tea..................something to ponder.

Michael, are you saying that using finasteride & nizoral every second or third day would be as good as using it every day?

I am seriously split down the middle concerning finasteride because after eight months of usage my rate of loss is horrific.

I have just ordered Apple Poly and am looking to experiment on inhibiting other negative-growth pathways in addition to DHT alone.

Would scaling back finasteride with the addition of Apple Poly to help against TGF-B be "fairly" effective. (I use that term loosely).

Further more I have also read of more than one occasion that distance runners or edurance type sports such as football (soccer), basketball, Australian rules football generally produce lower testosterone levels and are more prone to having baby daughters as opposed to baby sons.

Coincidently if you were to look at the majority of all Australian Rules Football players, they all have full heads of hair and yet they run great distances in training.

michael barry

Reaction score
So,

Finasteride is meant to be used every day. I meant the nizoral every second or third day. In tests it was used 2 to 4 days a week. 3 time a week (mon, wed, frid) would put one right in the middle of the test average. That would probably be the best way to proceed

I hope some guys who do the apple poly ALONE take pics and post their results. Its expensive stuff, I hope it works. Hell, I wish everything worked, hairloss sucks.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Progress

So said:
I am seriously split down the middle concerning finasteride because after eight months of usage my rate of loss is horrific.

So you may feel that your rate of loss is bad, but have you gone backwards, improved or maintained? Many people still experience shedding on finasteride, however, their rate of growth increases. What is important is that the rate of regrowth is greater than the rate of loss.

CCS

Reaction score
So if I do 2 30 minute workouts per day, I can avoid cortisol?

michael barry

Reaction score
CCS,

About the workouts.....................what I read was that after forty five minutes of STRENUOUS hard weight training, cortisol starts getting released. A warm up, and light weight work probably dont induce it.

To be honest with ya' brother, if you can go for sixty minutes post-warm up of hardcore heavy iron pumping, youre so damn built up, you probably dont need hair (LOL).

If a man ran over ten minutes or so, I dont imagine too much cortisol would be released in that amount of time.

However, Im sure you have noticed as well as I that older bodybuilders in their thirties sure have a high incidence of baldness. I do take into consideration super high T levels and roids'.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Progress

AussieExperiment said:
So said:

So you may feel that your rate of loss is bad, but have you gone backwards, improved or maintained? Many people still experience shedding on finasteride, however, their rate of growth increases. What is important is that the rate of regrowth is greater than the rate of loss.

My hair density has diminished significantly so therefore that constitutes no measurable regrowth.

G

michael barry said:
However, Im sure you have noticed as well as I that older bodybuilders in their thirties sure have a high incidence of baldness. I do take into consideration super high T levels and roids'.

Michael,

I think this is because baldness gets pretty common in the thirties and because of the roids. I really think roids is responsible for a lot of it. Many men that are predisposed to male pattern baldness will have the roids kick it off and accelerate it. I really doubt that natural steroid-free exercise will cause any hair loss

docj077

Reaction score
Marcules said:
Every other day I would:
*Lift 15 pound dumbells for an hour
*do 100 pushups
*do 200 situps

Was that too much? I'm sooooooooo confused!!! I'm suppose to workout to increase circulation but I'm not suppose to so I don't increase cortisol.

Do whatever you want. Just don't use hormone supplements to get the job done and don't use protein or carbohydrate shakes full of cholesterol or saturated fat.

Cardiovascular is the way to go.

There is nothing that you can do about cortisol and its effects. Afterall, in order to wake up in the morning you require a surge of cortisol just to get your body going.

michael barry

Reaction score
Marcules,

Men were found to start excreting cortisol who lifted VERY HEAVY weights for super intense 45 minute iron-pumping sessions that would leave most people exhausted.

So, if you were a real powerlifting enormous bodybuilder who could go heavy for an hour and a half.....................the last half of the workout would see you produce alot of cortisol.

The thing is that very few people on this planet can really (IM a built up guy myself) go that heavy for that long with short rest periods between sets enough to do that a great great deal.

Cortisol is the "fight or flight" hormone. If we keep ourselves scared and terrified constantly (like scientists have done to some lab rats), it will have negative consequences big time, but nobody is really going to do that.

You dont have anything to worry about unless your like a professional bodybuilder/steroid freak.

docj077

Reaction score
michael barry said:
Cortisol is the "fight or flight" hormone. If we keep ourselves scared and terrified constantly (like scientists have done to some lab rats), it will have negative consequences big time, but nobody is really going to do that.

Cortisol is the displace your fat around your thighs and midsection hormone. The "flight or fight" response is mediated by catecholamines like epinephrine. Cortisol may cause gluconeogenesis and other processes to occur to you can raise your blood sugar, however.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Cortisol can be moderated and kept in relative normality by not only eating properly but also by obtaining the correct amount of natural light and sleep per day.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like DHT, cortisol has its good and bad sides. The idea is to control excesses through intervention such as diet, supplements and lifestyle.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So said:
michael barry said:
Further more I have also read of more than one occasion that distance runners or edurance type sports such as football (soccer), basketball, Australian rules football generally produce lower testosterone levels and are more prone to having baby daughters as opposed to baby sons.

seriously?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/testoster ... erone.html

Research findings in this area have led some investigators to suggest that the effect of exercise training on the male reproductive system may be comparable to some degree to that found in women. For example, endurance-trained athletes of both sexes have abnormally low levels of the major sex hormones: testosterone in men, and estrogen in women.

[...]

Conclusions

Endurance exercise training would seem to have significant effects upon the major male reproductive hormone, testosterone. A growing body of evidence suggests at rest testosterone is lowered in the endurance-trained male. The mechanism of this lowering is currently unclear, but may be related to dysfunction within the HPT regulatory axis brought about by months or years of endurance training. Currently, the time course of the changes in the reproductive endocrine system are unresolved. There are only limited findings to indicate that endurance training disrupts testosterone-dependent anabolic or androgenic processes in the male. The alterations in testosterone levels brought by endurance exercise training could even have cardiovascular protective effects.

powersam

Reaction score
michael barry said:

its an odd opinion to have....

why not dutasteride twice a week, or finasteride and topical spironolactone, or topical spironolactone and revivogen?

topical green tea is experimental at best, and nizoral has far less studies backing it than spironolactone does.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bald fit people > bald fat people

:roll: