Strip after FUE?

BMORE39

Reaction score
Is this doable? If so, any examples?

I am an aspiring NW5 and have had 2700 FUEs moved. I am reluctant to thin my donor any further and am just considering options for the future. My original donor density was good, my FUs are largish (lots of 3s), my hair caiber is coarse, and my hair color is salt 'n pepper.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Look for the poster named "Shuffle" on hairlosshelp or hairsite4. He had 2-3k fue, then a strip megasession, totalling about 8k grafts, and looks pretty good. But he had good donor, and a smallish head.

G

Yes it is possible to do. One thing about FUE is that it does not take laxity out of the scalp.

IMO strip in the best hands still has the best yields and resulting donor appearance IF you wear your hair longer. The continuing popular trico closure methods are doing wonders to hide the linear strip scar but trico is not for everyone.

The problem with FUE is that most of us with male pattern baldness are going to need in excess of 4,000 grafts in our lifetimes and at least strip will not leave a moth-eaten donor area. For many patients who start getting over 3,000 FUE grafts begin to have compromising looking donor areas. And I see alot of pics!

Many FUE proponents will tell you that you're nuts to do strip after FUE yet most of them, if not all of them have not had in excess of 3,000 FUE extractions taken from their scalp donor area. Alot of them have never even had FUE done at all, yet they are the experts in opinion. :roll:

Another big consideration for me was the cost. Strip can be half the cost of FUE and still get the best strip surgeons. And I'm also thankful I could get the trico closure done on myself. To date I have had 6900 strip grafts which I would never have been able to afford with FUE. The prominent price of FUE is eight dollars per graft. So 6900 X 8 would have been $55,200! :shock: