Strattera vs Adderall

G

A friend of mine is on a drug called Strattera. I looked at it and this is the only non stimulant drug approved for ADD it said. This Adderall is makin me kinda jittery and tough to sleep so if I could get a non stimulant drug that worked as well for concentrating that would be pretty sweet.

Docj077, if you read this, do you think that Strattera is as effective as Adderall at treating ADHD?

Adderall is also a pain since the psychiatrist says he can't call in scripts, i have to pick it up in person, and i can only have one month at a time.

G

er i just did some research on strattera and found some really disturbing stuff.

The most common side effects of Strattera in adults are:

* Jaundice (yellow skin or eyes)
* Liver dysfunction
* Severe liver damage such as acute hepatitis
* Increased heart rate
* Increased blood pressure
* Dark urine
* Tenderness on the right side of the abdomen
* Swelling
* Itchy skin or hives
* Enlarged pupils (eyes)
* Constipation
* Dry mouth
* Nausea
* Decreased appetite
* Dizziness
* Insomnia
* Menstrual cramps
* Painful urination
* Sexual side effects such as decreased libido, impotence, ejaculation problems, and painful sexual intercourse

The number of patients trying Strattera and discontinuing it shortly thereafter appears quite high. There are also a large number of patients who receive little or no benefits from Strattera. Furthermore, Strattera costs more than other ADHD drugs but appears less effective, except at causing liver damage and other reduced quality-of-life side effects or worse – severe liver injury that may progress to liver failure and the need for liver transplants.

What do you think of this Doctor? Is Strattera bad news?

I also just read that it was less effective than the stimulants in studies.

G

Doctor, I found this too:

"There is a more significant consideration, which is actually a consideration with any new drug. Ritalin and Dexedrine have been around for almost a century. Of all psychiatric medications, nothing else has been studied and tested so thoroughly. Many people have very strong opinions about these drugs and their effects. Some people like them, some people hate them, but everyone agrees to one thing. There are going to be no major surprises. We are not going to find out that Ritalin has some catastrophic side effect that nobody could have predicted. It has been around too long. Whatever is going to happen already has happened.

You cannot make the same statement about Strattera. The FDA is very stringent about its requirements before allowing a new drug on the market. Most people think they are too conservative and are blocking people from receiving effective medication. But the FDA is not infallible, and medicines with dangerous effects do get through the screening process. "

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I took the stuff for about two weeks and it didn't do jack for my concentration. Just gave me wicked-painfull dragon-spits and insomnia.