stopping treatment without shedding

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to rename this thread because it got moved to the minoxidil forum. The reason I ask this in the general forum is that those who stopped using minoxidil probably do not go to the minoxidil-forum.

I had to stop using the minoxidil (2%) due to irritation about two months ago(had been using it since 2003). So far so good no shedding yet.
At first I wanted to start the minoxidil again as soon as my head healed but I still see some redness where the irritation was the worst (right in front of my hairline on the right-side and two small bumps on the back of my head). Also I like not having to apply it every morning and evening. The thing is I started finasteride because minoxidil didn't halt my shedding, which is under control now after a year on propecia (see the link to my story below, Ireally like the way my hair looks now so I dread shedding)

you can read about my minoxidil-irritation-experience here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=23352

Anyone that can give advice or had a similar experience??

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using Propecia and Rogaine together for about three years when I got sick of the Rogaine mess and stopped using it, figuring the Propecia was doing all the work anyway.

About 6 months later, I was surprised to see what looked like less hair in the "comb part" areas. Maybe I imagined it, I can't say for sure, but I wasn't looking for it either - I just combed my hair one day and thought, "hey! where'd it all go!" And remembered I had stopped Rogaine many months ago... and...

I went back on Rogaine (now using generics).

Consider a different generic brand perhaps? Maybe the particular brand you're using has more alcohol or whatever. I tend to mega-dose with the stuff too, just to get it spread around. It's a royal pain in the arse to spready it evenly with a dropper. The areas I tend to focus on often get dry and irritated, sometimes creating a scab/sore. I just avoid those areas for awhile, and try to control the dosage I apply.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
i stopped using minoxidil about 2 months ago and have had a pretty big shed since then. however, i cant be sure if it was caused by stopping minoxidil cause i was getting bad sheds with just propecia alone.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
damnthis
use ppg free minoxidil from Dr. Lee (http://www.minoxidil.com). it uses glycerine which is commonly used in babies' products. you will not have any irritation.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
damnthis said:
I had to rename this thread because it got moved to the minoxidil forum. The reason I ask this in the general forum is that those who stopped using minoxidil probably do not go to the minoxidil-forum.

I had to stop using the minoxidil (2%) due to irritation about two months ago(had been using it since 2003). So far so good no shedding yet.
At first I wanted to start the minoxidil again as soon as my head healed but I still see some redness where the irritation was the worst (right in front of my hairline on the right-side and two small bumps on the back of my head). Also I like not having to apply it every morning and evening. The thing is I started finasteride because minoxidil didn't halt my shedding, which is under control now after a year on propecia (see the link to my story below, Ireally like the way my hair looks now so I dread shedding)

you can read about my minoxidil-irritation-experience here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=23352

Anyone that can give advice or had a similar experience??

I've heard tell of people using tricomin therapy spray in an effort to avoid the dreaded shed - can't tell you for certain if it actually works or not.

At the worst - it might help w/ your irritation.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys.

I will try to apply it once a day now, hopefully it hasn't been too long without minoxidil to avoid the shed.
If that doesn't work I will try another brand or try to order doctor Lee's minoxidil.
I will keep you updated on how it goes (if I will shed or not).

People that stopped using it, can you tell me how many months after that that you started shedding and for how long?