Stopping minoxidil - My Story

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am 27 and a mild diffuse thinner with slight recesion (less then Norwood-2 for sure). For 3 months, I have stopped using minoxidil. Prior to this I had used minoxidil and finasteride for 2 years. For the first year I used minoxidil twice a day then dropped it to about 10 times per week as some day I would use it twice. basically I had a dry scalp and white flakes so using it in the morning was usually not an option. I would go through typical sheds every few months. I tried Dr. Lee's preoduct and they were much much much worse on my scalp. Overall I have been very please to keep most of my hair as I have photographs to prove that things have either haulted or are progressing very slow.
Soon after starting finasteride and minoxidil my hair went flat and was impossible to shape in anyway. Certainly before treatments I did not have perfect hair but I could easily shape it. It was depressig at times because I had never anticipated going bald at a young age based on my family history. Anyways I stayed with the treaments until about 3.5 months ago I stopped minoxidil. Basically I hated having to apply minoxidil constantly and having to deal with a dry scalp and flaking despite trying a number of different shampoos. I also was skeptical of the fact that minoxidil has very little scientific backing. Not to mention I felt as if I was retaining water. Therefore, I decided to stop minoxidil but keep the finasteride. The results have been positive. I can shape my hair for the first time in two years and my hair looks and feels thicker.
Now I understand that things could fall apart soon as hair grows in cycles, but either way this is the best my hair has looked in 2 years so the minoxidil must have been effecting my hair quality. Perhaps the positive benefits from finasteride were minimized by the fact that my scalp was too dry. I am nervous that I will start sheding badly soon. Any comments or similar experiences would be helpful, thanks.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Well, you might in fact lose some of your progress...but if that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

One thing you might consider, before dropping minoxidil entirely, is giving the new foam a shot. My flaking has disappeared 100%. No itching. No residue. No greasy mess. I love it. All you have to lose is the cost of a month's supply.

Either way you go, good luck to you!

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty damn good to hear!!!

This is exactly the kind of story i am desperate to hear lol

Someone who stopped using minoxidil after a long period of use and is still maintaining with propecia.

If its been 3.5 months you would probably have lost most of your results gained from minoxidil.

My only explanation i can devise is that maybe the whole time the mixnodil was doing nothing so when you quit it didnt make a difference so no loss was incurred.

G

Phillip said:
Thats pretty damn good to hear!!!

This is exactly the kind of story i am desperate to hear lol

Someone who stopped using minoxidil after a long period of use and is still maintaining with propecia.

If its been 3.5 months you would probably have lost most of your results gained from minoxidil.

My only explanation i can devise is that maybe the whole time the mixnodil was doing nothing so when you quit it didnt make a difference so no loss was incurred.

why wouldn't this happen phillip? stopping minoxidil will only affect hairs that minoxidil has regrown or is keeping in place.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

As I said, overall things have stayed about the same. I think any benefits from minoxidil were simply destroyed by the fact that my scalp was too dry and could not take the constant applications. We shall see as the months go on.