Stell Cell Multiplication, 2007-2015

Re75

Reaction score
"Looking forward, the prospective treatment of hair multiplication/hair cloning, which extracts self-replenishing follicle stem cells, multiplies them many times over in the lab, and microinjects them into the scalp, has been shown to work in mice, and is currently under development, expected by some scientists to be available to the public in 2009–2015. Subsequent versions of the treatment are expected by some scientists to be able to cause these follicle stem cells to simply signal the surrounding hair follicles to rejuvenate."

I"n January 2007, Italian stem-cell researchers say they've come up with a new technique for curing baldness. Pierluigi Santi of a Genoa clinic said stem cells could be used to "multiply" hair roots. He said the clinic would be ready to perform its first hair transplants on priority patients - those who have lost their hair in fires or other accidents - within a few months. After that, he said, "we'll open our doors to paying customers". Santi's approach works by splitting roots and growing new follicles."

This was from a wikipedia article, and I have done some light reading on stem cell research before in this regard. Of course, the folicles would still have to be active , as in this would work for people I believe who are in the beginning or middle stages of losing hair...My question is for a little perspective on how this seemingly looming Cure would come about when in the US we have such restrictions on stem cell research and what kind of sum of money one could be expected to pay for such a treatment as I'm sure healh insurance won't cover it under the same guidlines of plastic surgery and so on.

For myself I am in the beginning stages of thinning hair and will definatly go on propecia and stuff cause I feel like there's a reason to fight for keeping those folicles active as there might be such a final solution encroaching, even with side effects now. But am I being realistic with my expectations?

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are being realistic. No one honestly knows when HM will come out, there's a lot of skepticism from everyone. I thought it would come out in 2008, but I have a big doubt it won't. Intercytex mentioned in a report not too long ago of the possibility of having small scale commercialization in 2008 if results are good.

They estimate at earliest 2010, but that report was back during the start of Phase II trials. Also, Aderans is looking around that date too.

The only thing regulated in the U.S is embryonic stem cell research which was done by Bush, private companies can do their own research and projects without regulation from the government.

It's going to come out in Europe before the U.S, but I read also Bosley has distribution rights. Keep in mind, the British version of the FDA is not as meticuolous on cell therapy.

One of the pdf's at Valveta showed results from probably Phase I, very promising. Although the first version of TRC won't make an Norwood 7 having Elvis hair, improvement will come.

This is just an opinion and some gathering from facts.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
Re75 said:
"
Of course, the folicles would still have to be active , as in this would work for people I believe who are in the beginning or middle stages of losing hair...

So a nw7 wont be eligible for treatment?

I keep reading different stories about follicles being active. Some have said that even a nw7 can have all his hair back with HM, others say they don´t as like you said, if the follicles go dead there´s nothing you can do. So, what gives?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FabioM said:

I keep reading different stories about follicles being active. Some have said that even a nw7 can have all his hair back with HM, others say they don´t as like you said, if the follicles go dead there´s nothing you can do. So, what gives?

My take is this:

There are different techniques being explored. Some, like the method Intercytex is using, will allow an NW7 to return to NW1 because it is growing new follicles. Others, like the one described above, will not because they are rejuvenating existing follicles (on an NW7, these are mostly long dead).

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
flimflam said:
FabioM said:

My take is this:

There are different techniques being explored. Some, like the method Intercytex is using, will allow an NW7 to return to NW1 because it is growing new follicles. Others, like the one described above, will not because they are rejuvenating existing follicles (on an NW7, these are mostly long dead).

I remember Kemp saying the first version might be used along with a transplant, but this was before Phase II so things might have changed.