Starting Treatment - Have a few questions

Pinhas

Reaction score
Hello,

For the past few years I have noticed a gradual decline in my hair’s health and thickness. I am now 23 years old, and the situation has gotten to the point of no return; I must do something now before it’s too late, I just hope it’s not already too late.

I have a thick curly hair, that masks my true condition, and now it’s at a stage where even that is not enough. I am going to take action!

One of my problems is that I have a really bad case of dandruff; it started about 4-5 years ago and still affects my scalp. I tried every shampoo on the market, visited doctors that prescribed ointments and topical solutions, but nothing worked. I do not know what to do as I am sure that my condition worsens my hair loss.

I decided to start using Rogaine and Nizoral, and wait a bit on the Propecia.

I have been researching this topic for years now, and now its time to actually do something.

Before I start, I have a number of questions; and I would greatly appreciate some feedback, tips and general moral support.

1)Will my case of dandruff have any affect on the Minoxidil treatment? Will the flakes act as a barrier of sorts, or will they counteract the ingredients and cause escalated shedding?

2)How do I apply the foam, how much of it do I use for maximized affects and when is the best time to do it?

3)Do I need to wash/wet my hair before I use it?

4)Since I am still hesitant about Propecia, what other things I can use to help my hair and take full advantage of the treatment? (I take multi-vitamin and fish oil daily already)

5)Do any products counteract one another?

6)I noticed on this forum that many people talk about a quality conditioner and its importance; what are some recommended conditioners that I can use?

7)Is it sensible to use the brand name Rogaine 5%, or is it better to just get the generic. I am not rich so money is an issue, but I would not mind springing extra few bucks for a better product. Is there really any difference between them? What, if anything will happen if I switch Minoxidil brands mid treatment?

8)Does lifting weights affect your hair loss? I noticed that opinions on this are mixed. I used to work out often, and now I want to get back into it, but I am affraid that the extra T in my body will expedite the hair loss. Is this a valid fear or are there no connections between gym and hair loss?

On a side note, I am not sure of this matter, but I live in a basement apartment, and for a long time have been having a stuffed nose and at times shortage of breathing. My nose has been stuffed for years now, and again no treatment seems to work. I often suspected that the fact that I don’t have the best air circulation in my body may by a cause to my dandruff and perhaps hair loss; is this totally ridiculous or is there any merit in this assumption?

Baldness is in my family, and I taken a blood test and my results are good, so I ruled out almost every cause of baldness that is not genetic.

Thanks in advance for the help, I will go order my Rogaine soon and start treatment, I just wanted to gather some last minute information before diving into the deep water

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral 2% may be your best bet to stop your dandruff.

1) The Rogaine liquid may irritate your scalp, making more dandruff. I would go for Rogaine Foam.

2) Read the instructions.

3) It's not a must, but think by yourself. Oil and dust may slow down and/or block the products you're applying.

4) Finasteride is safe. Use it. There's no natural replacement.

5) What products?

6) Dunno, I don't use any.

7) Generic is ok. Minoxidil is Minoxidil.

8) Some people say yes, others say it doesn't. Me and lot of doctors says: No, it may even help your hair loss. Exercises are good for the body.

There's no evidence about that. Try going out home more and go to parks, etc.

The start of the treatment is hard, you don't know how to go, but go making your questions, even if they're stupids, like some questions you did. Soon you'll be teaching the newbies :)