Starting Minoxidil for First Time (Advice Needed!)

Logic1

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting minoxidil for the first time and taking the leap into the minoxidil word. I'm wondering which kind of minoxidil you guys think I should start off with....The kirkland 5% or Dr. Lee's 500 formula that drys faster?

or both?

Right now cost is not an issue, but may very well be in the future. Which leads to my next question....if I were to switch minoxidil brands due to financial issues later down the line would there be adverse negative effects in doing so(more sheds, less or not effective, more flaking or drying, etc)?

Also, my regimen will be as follows.

Revivogen 1x daily (not sure yet how I'm going to combine revivogen applications with minoxidil applications yet)
Folligen Lotion 1x every 2 days
Nizoral 1x every 2 days
minoxidil 2x daily

Also, at night I was wondering if anyone wears a night cap or a light winter hat on the hair so you dont' look like crap at night and when waking up plus you dont' smear minoxidil all over your pillow...

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally have been taking the kirkland minoxidil 5% before I realized there was the fast drying formula from Dr. Lee. I may transition into that once the Kirkland box is finished. Although I am not an expert, I believe that transitioning to a different brand of minoxidil won't impact your hairloss negatively. Its minoxidil, the same thing. However, if the minoxidil is combined with another ingredient such as retin-A as they are doing now, perhaps. I can't say for sure. I usually apply the minoxidil about a couple hours before bedtime and rub it in. I haven't had any problems with the minoxidil smearing on the pillow.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I suggest buying whatever you can afford. You can always buy the kirkland minoxidil and Dr. Lee's and use his while you can afford it and if you have to switch you will have 3 bottles of Kirkland that you had purchased.

I personally put my Xandrox on about 30 minutes before I go to bed, haha.

G

cj why do you use xandrox over kirkland? is it because it's fast drying or because of the azelaic acid?

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
cj why do you use xandrox over kirkland? is it because it's fast drying or because of the azelaic acid?
I use the #500 Regular Minoxidil also because of it's drying properties.

I use the Xandrox because of the Azelaic Acid.

helpme2

Reaction score
do you apply the minoxidil twice daily or once (before you go to bed)..

I would perfer the later.

menace

Reaction score
helpme2 said:
do you apply the minoxidil twice daily or once (before you go to bed)..

I would perfer the later.

i usually only put it on before bed, and i'm getting regrowth up front.

helpme2

Reaction score
Ok, im thinking of def going with the foam stuff (rogaine). Also when you say at night, I am assuming you mean once a day.

Thank you.

helpme2

Reaction score
Another question, Do you think easing into it is a good idea, for example once every 2 days use the foam?

thanks

menace

Reaction score
yea, i'm only using once a day, for the most part. occasionally i'll put a little on in the mornings, but until i get ahold of some quick drying stuff like dr lee's or the foam, once a day is all i can do.