Starting microneedling, and need some help

chromic88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just joined and this is my first post. If this topic is not under the right section, I apologise.

I have recently bought a dermapen and will start microneedling and also use Minoxidil.

I have seen a lot of tutorials etc, but Im not sure how to approach it.

my main worry is infection. Do i need a disinfectant?
Do I wash my hair before and after microneedling? do I apply disinfectant before or after microneedling?
I know that I should wait appx 24hrs to apply Minoxidil. I am planning to use 1.5mm.

appreciate all the help

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
My microneedling routine is: rub dr. numb cream onto my head, wait 30 min, take a shower, rub my head with alcohol wipes, microneedle

pochkopmo

My Regimen
Reaction score
You'll be fine so long as your head is clean and the roller is sterilized, anything asides from that is preference. Some people do keto before, i just use regular shampoo. Let your hair dry, and just roll. Afterwards clean the roll. Some people leave it in alcohol, i rinse it with tap water, then let it dry, then apply alcohol and let it dry once again, but then again, it's preference.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Chances of getting an infection from needling are tiny, you should probably still disinfect the roller though, takes two seconds.

chromic88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your help guys.

One more question.
I live on the seaside and go for a swim very often. Is it okay to swim in the seawater after microneedling? Or i need to wait for some time?

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are absolutely fine swimming in saltwater immediately after microneedling. Saltwater has a soothing or antiseptic effect which I think would help speed the healing of the "injured" skin, which should actually speed up your process.

Interested in hearing what others have to say.

pochkopmo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your help guys.

One more question.
I live on the seaside and go for a swim very often. Is it okay to swim in the seawater after microneedling? Or i need to wait for some time?
If I recall correctly, sea water has a lot of foreign bacteria, but i don't really think it should be that much of an issue assuming you're healthy. Still, if you want to be cautious you could wait a day, or a couple of hours.

nir7699

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have a sensitive skin don't use alcohol on your head. Sea salty water also cause scalp irritation. Sensitive skin that gets irritated can provoke inflammation, and then you're getting into the most fatal hair loss.